CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   929 Cooling Fan Shutting Off (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/929-cooling-fan-shutting-off-137234/)

nightmarenyc 04-23-2012 11:31 PM

929 Cooling Fan Shutting Off

Before i start spending money, I'm just curious if it's the temp switch or the fan motor going bad. The fan was wired up by the previous owner to turn on with the ignition and run all the time. When I 1st turn the bike on the fan runs full tilt, no issues. After 15- 20 mins, the fan will turn VERY slowly and just shut down completely. I noticed this after watching my temp climb from 190 to 230 inside of a few minutes. I shut her down, turned the key, I heard the fuel pump prime, but no fan. Checked all the connections and all seems ok. After a few mins, the fan would then turn really slow. 5-10 minutes later, I turn the key to check the temp.....175 and the fan is running full tilt? Go figure. Seems like the motor might be on its way out and is crapping out when it gets hot? I also removed the lead from the temp sensor and grounded it when it was hot and got nothing from the fan. What do you guys think?

74demon 04-23-2012 11:57 PM

Sounds like the fan motor is going out.
You can make sure its got good voltage and ground, but im sure it will be fine.

nightmarenyc 04-24-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1153022)
Sounds like the fan motor is going out.
You can make sure its got good voltage and ground, but im sure it will be fine.

Thanks bro, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm just gonna replace the fan and call it a day. Hopefully I can get one locally

nightmarenyc 05-06-2012 09:44 AM

As it turns out, the motor must have been going bad as I replaced it over a week ago and it hasn't shut off since. Wound up using a fan from an 08 600rr so the brackets were different. Just took them both apart and swapped the new motor and fan blade into my old bracket. So if anyone wanted to do this, YES they will work. I was a little concerned at 1st being the 600 fan was only HALF as deep as my original fan so there is a 1 inch or so gap between the fan and radiator. I was surprised cause this thing flows just as much air as the original if not more. It's been cool out, but my temp hasn't gone past 209 degrees yet. We'll see.....engine ice may be coming next...

stealthCBR929 05-06-2012 11:20 AM

You don't want the fan to stay on consistently You will burn the fan out and Kill the battery these bikes only charge above 5000 rpms put the fan wiring back to stock. And for a fan muzzy makes a high air flow fan way better then stock

greenmamba 05-06-2012 02:12 PM

stealth, i checked out muzzys site but didnt see anything 929 specific. but did see alot of honda us same blade part number. can you verify?

nightmarenyc 05-07-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by stealthCBR929 (Post 1156937)
You don't want the fan to stay on consistently You will burn the fan out and Kill the battery these bikes only charge above 5000 rpms put the fan wiring back to stock. And for a fan muzzy makes a high air flow fan way better then stock

Wow, thanks Stealth, definitely good to know. If that's the case, I'll be putting it back stock for sure. I just gotta unravel the electrical tape and see exactly what was done. I think he just grounded the temp sensor wire

stealthCBR929 05-09-2012 05:41 PM

Noo problem nightmare. Hope you get your bike running good! Do you have a work shop manual ? If you don't get one! It has wiring diagrams

estate4life 05-09-2012 06:01 PM

Yeah...PO grounded the fan because he's too lazy to replace a $28 fan switch which is located on the bottom of radiator to the left (when you sitting on bike).

Bypassing is temporary...

Order the fan switch...remove the old one, install the new one. Flush radiator and put in new coolant while you are at it.......you may need to crimp a new connect head to the ground wire (that the PO grounded) likely he splice that already

Killerdimpler 07-24-2013 11:00 AM

How long after a bike is running should the fan turn on?