CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 Clutch Cable Grounding out on Radiator Woes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 Clutch Cable Grounding out on Radiator Woes!

Hey guys, I'm posting for a friend of mine who is very computer illiterate. Needless to say, he was a 2000 929 w/ 46K on it, well taken care of it and it runs like a champ. On to the Problem:

Recently he went to the track and was going into one of the turns and noticed that when he turned one way or another the bike would cut out and stop running and when he got straight again it would come back on. The FI would stop working, headlight also, as if someone hit the kill switch. after looking into it further testing every wire we could think of... we noticed the clutch cable is grounding the bike out on the radiator. The rubber around the clutch cable has worn off, when you turn.. the clutch cable comes off the radiator, and the bike shuts off. with more testing we found that if we ran a piece of wire from the cooling fan ground mounted on the radiator to the header bolt on the engine.. it would keep the ground good and keep the bike running no matter what. Its kinda hard to explain, i'll try to see if i can get pictures this week.. i m ight be going out for a ride with him today.. i have my iphone so pics wont be great.. but you'll be able to see what i'm talking about. so for now.. the bike runs perfect.. its just jerry rigged with that wire from the rad to the head bolt for the header.. Any ideas? or just leave it he just assumes leave it, but i want to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Check for contenuity on the ground wire going to the switch in the rad. Looks like it is teed in with all the other grounds going to the main ground connection under the seat. I bet it is loose there.
Bad grounds can cause havok.
Stephem

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM

ok.. i was thinking something along the lines that the main ground on the battery might be loose.. but i haven't gotten that far yet.. i just thought about it a few mins ago.. but the ground wire for the radiator fan seems ok too.. i have a volt meter.. not sure how to test for "contenuity" ... i'll h ave to look that up.. the manual that came with my volt meter is not real clear..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Check from the neg wire of the switch to bat. ground in ohms. Should read 1 ohm. low is good.
Download the electrical diagram this will help you. There are a few tees where a few wires will connect these can be problem areas.
Open circuits can be intermittent so do some wire wiggling while you have the ohmmeter on.
Stephen

Old 05-25-2009, 04:32 AM

the switch in the rad. Looks like it is teed in with all the other grounds going to the main ground connection under the seat. I bet it is loose there.There are a few tees where a few wires will connect these can be problem areas. thread insert helicoil

http://www.xhcljx.com/eng