CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 big bore kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 big bore kit

I am thinking of doing an engine rebuild this next winter. I am trying to start some research on parts and gettin some money saved up. Does anyone know who makes the best and preferably biggest big bore kit. The biggest I've seen will put it at a 954. I seen one site that said there was a 980 kit but I didnt save it and cant find it again. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 PM

I think orientexpressracin.com has a kit that will get you up to 980cc .or wiseco.com. hope this can help you. maybe you can give them a call or shoot them a email and the can help you out or send you in the right direction of someone else that can help.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM

i here its not a good i dea to go above 954...i wasnt given a very valid reason...none the less thats just what i hear...maybe it will be a better idea to swap for a 954 and bore that whenever... keep me updated man i'm kinda in the same boat as you.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM

The 954 is 1mm bore over the 929, 980 is 1mm over bore from the 954. I did a set of weisco 1mm pistons. Had to have the cylinders nikasilled(sp?) Would not recommend it. Erion racing has been a great help through all the motor builds I've done. I was told not to do more then 1/4mm bore.(after the fact) The cylinders get to thin, and the problems I had were the cylinders would move causing leaking head gaskets. Not enough material left to keep a good seal. Could go with a stroker motor, but was told if you ride alot the crank will flex to much to keep bearings in it. I am back to a stock motor. I bought titanium rods and had 5lbs taken off the crank and had it knifed. All said and done it made 165 to the rear wheel with a mild break in tune. It was a blast to ride! Sadly I punctured the radiator at 170mph and didn't know till it was too late. Ended up losing a rod through the block and the oil caught on fire and burned the bike up a little. Just thought I would post my experiences because the local shop thought it would be a good idea to use me as a guinea pig. I do have a spare motor looking to sell if your interested?www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88270. Thanks. Lee.[/quote]

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

If anyone is interested in boring and plating their cylinders I strongly suggest you stay away from U.S. Chrome plating. I had my cylinders to them 3 times because the plating would flake off. They weren't doing something right. I would suggest Millenium Technologies. They were 100% better. Bearing journals and everything were clean, case was clean, and never had an issue with the plating! Even with the rod exiting the block, it didn't even chip off! 1-888-779-6885. I am not sure if they do walk-ins or you may have to go through a dealer. If I remember correctly I paid around $500 for the boring and the plating? If you have any other questions just ask. Thanks. Lee.

I have 3 980 Weisco pistons that are used and would need rings. I could get the rings and the 4th piston if anyone would be interested in them. If your interested let me know, I can get prices together and some pics.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks alot for the input. I have heard myself it would be better to pick up a 954 motor and build that up rather than use the 929 as the base. Which probably isnt a bad idea cause I could start that without having to immobilize my bike. God knows I dont want to do that I just got my new corsa 3 put on it earlier today.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 PM

For the price and time why not go turbo instead?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM

no doubt on the turbo idea but i bigger engine to handle the boost never hurts. the 954 might be the extra power boost your looking for man. but make sure your internals are strong enough to handle the unexpected boost.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM

go to mvpbikes.com they are doing my big bore kit on my 06 1000.... dont use siezeco pistons I would stick with je or cp which they can get

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmiles929
no doubt on the turbo idea but i bigger engine to handle the boost never hurts. the 954 might be the extra power boost your looking for man. but make sure your internals are strong enough to handle the unexpected boost.
Smaller is better, boost and thin cylinder walls are a real bad combo.

On the big bore idea, if you're interested in anything custom, try ross racing pistons. They will make anything you want. Cash dependant of course. I think it would be cool to have custom sleeves installed with a set of one-off pistons. Keep in mind that with the same crank and rod length you'll have the same piston acceleration as a stock 929. If you end up with heavier pistons they could stress you're crank/rods too much and facilitate a lower redline.

Quick Reply: 929 big bore kit