CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 929RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/)
-   -   01 929 - 2 cylinders not firing / fuel dumping out exhaust (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr-20/01-929-2-cylinders-not-firing-fuel-dumping-out-exhaust-157432/)

ToddinATL 04-16-2018 10:42 AM

01 929 - 2 cylinders not firing / fuel dumping out exhaust

Hello experts.
I have an 01 929....its been sitting for quite some time and wouldn't start.
With the help of a friend we took the fuel pump out and cleaned everything, including the inside of the tank. It wasn't too bad, but the fuel pump wasn't working prior to the cleaning.
When we put it all back together, the fuel pump worked and the bike started immediately and it seemed to be fine.
We let it idle for a while, cracked the throttle a few times and everything seemed completely normal. So we were quite pleased.
THEN, we put all the tools away - and about an hour later went to start the bike again. Now, cylinders 1 and 4 are not getting hot. And fuel is dumping out of the exhaust.
We then dug back into the bike. We removed the plugs and coils, and swapped them with cylinders 2 and 3, and the issue remains with cylinders 1 and 4.
So we are scratching our heads.

Has anyone ran into this ?
Any suggestions here ?

Thanks !!

74demon 04-16-2018 11:08 AM

Were the plugs wet on 1 and 4? What did the plugs on 2 and 3 look like?

You've ruled out a spark issue by swapping coils. You've got a open injector problem if only 1 and 4 are wet or a FPR issue if they are all wet.

ToddinATL 04-16-2018 12:25 PM

2 and 3 are fine
1 and 4 are wet - very.
Just checked and the FPR is seeping fuel - a lot.

74demon 04-16-2018 03:43 PM

Get a new FPR and spark plugs.

ToddinATL 04-18-2018 01:04 PM

FPR on the way.
I'll update the post here on the outcome, just in case it may help someone else out in the future.

74demon 04-18-2018 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ToddinATL (Post 1313641)
FPR on the way.
I'll update the post here on the outcome, just in case it may help someone else out in the future.

Please do.

When your all done, change the oil before you ride it. The oil will most likely have some fuel mixed in it.

speedywebby 08-17-2020 09:00 AM

Did you find cause of problem?

Originally Posted by ToddinATL (Post 1313641)
FPR on the way.

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem and all my checks are the same as yours. Did you manage to resolve and if so what did you do?

Thanks, Paul Webb.

Sean Nyboer 09-03-2020 10:53 PM

On mine it was the fuel pressure regulator. Flooded out #1 and #4 cylinders. Pulled vacuum hose off of regulator and fuel ran out of hose. Cycled key and more fuel came out of the FPR. Plugged vacuum hose and ran hose from FPR to a bucket. Let run to make sure only problem. Runs normal now, hits on all 4. Changed FPR , oil and plugs also just to be safe.