CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Your 900rr vs a modern sportbike

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your 900rr vs a modern sportbike

If you were to compare your bike to a modern sportbike what would it be?

A modern SS equal in terms of hp, torque and overall performance, esp. 1/4 mile and top speed?

Do we still measure up to today'sthe competition?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Your 900rr vs a modern sportbike

The best time I ran at the track on my 99 900rr with an 8 in stretch, exhaust, and filter was 10.40, I raced a kid once on an 05 gsxr 600 that was stock with an aftermarket exhaust and he clicked off a 10.70...my friends 05 636 with a power commander, pipe, and 2 up on the rear sprocket passes me on the highway once we start hitting triple digit speeds until he tops out at 150+ then I catch him up...Its the harsh reality of the old vs the new....

Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 AM

That's about what I figured, that our 900rr's are about as fast if not a tad faster than a modern 600 sportbike.

But in top speed, unless we have diff. gearing we'll still come out a winner

Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 AM

I got mine last week, and took it out with the guys yesterday, and considering I was on a shakedown run I was easily able to hang tight with a group that had 04 and up bikes.

A few weeks back I borrowed a CBR1000RR and my bike is certainly not in the same league, and needs a little work. Two things stand out. The screen (speedscreenusa) is crap, and pushed all that wind straight into my helmet. (Even my 1986 FZ600 allowed me to tuck down into still air while still peering over the screen, or if the straight was long enough tuck lower and see through it.

Next up is the pegs, which are too high for me to tuck my legs into the tank cutouts. Ill have to find rearsets. Handling wise, being a first ride I wasnt scraping my knees, but the bike felt stable and planted at speeds and angles of lean that would have tied my FZ in knots. Given that I used to peg the FZ in every gear and go deep into corners to try to keep up with newer faster bikes I came away feeling more tired on the RR, probably because of the screen and pegs.. Yes I got huge cramp too, had to stand up on the pegs at over 200kph to relieve the pain asap..

CJ

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM

How does it compare? I always thought of mine as a torquey 600. It has about the same HP as a good 600 but way more torque.

It's heavier, down by 40+hp but with the right rider can keep any new liter bike in sight or pass them if the guy/girl riding the new one is sloppy.

In straight line acceleration, it's not a comparison at all, that is about it's only down fall. I liked it's handling and the way the power came on.......hit the apex and get that bitch wide open and hang on.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM

I bought a few 900rr's new. They seemed so fast and powerful at the time. From '02-'07 I didn't throw my leg over a single one. During that time, I rode mostly 954s and 1000rrs. Last spring I finally put a little ride time in on an old RR. I couldn't believe how weak it felt. I honestly thought something was wrong with it even though it seemed to be running perfectly. I had a couple of people ride it to confirm that it was all in my head. It's funny how it's all about perspective.

Even with them feeling fat and slow compared to just about every current bike, They're still my favorite bike of all time with the 954 being a very close second. The 900 is just a great all around street bike. It's very user friendly. It has a sporty but very forgiving riding posture. You can spend a day playing in the curves or take a long trip without having to visit a physical therapist afterward.

When you have one tuned well, it delivers power very smoothly and evenly.... A characteristic I have yet to find on ANY fuel injected bike. Plus, even though it's weak in comparrison to the new bikes, it still has more than enough power for anyone.
On paper, 1/4 mile times, lap times, braking distance etc... I'm sure comparingthe 900 to the modern bikesis about like comparing a Model T to a Z06 Corvette but in the real world it is a much better daily rider......that's my opinion of it anyway..

Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Incomparison there is no way the 900 can match a modern superbikes. Come on guys, lets face the reality.

Its already outdated, heavy and the most less power in its class. But THATS not the point. There are much more people out there whom will be wishing if they can own a bike like ours when we pass by them. Call ourself lucky.........

Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Most of my friends that I hang with have modern sportbikes;CBR600.Yamaha R6 and R1,GSXR600 and GSXR1000 and kawi 600 and 636 even a triumph tt600 but me having the oldest bike and being the oldest of my group gets respect on the performance of my bike plus mabe because I'm the one that works on their bike as well. I've had a chance to drive their bikes and they are fast and some wheelie pretty easy as well. The cbr600rr impresses me the most and is very quick. But I tell you what my 900 can keep up real well and mabe because of the mods on it even beats alot of those bikes. I would love to own a modern bike but hate payments. One thing for sure is I would never sell my 900rr, it stands out and definently fits me better. I'm 5,8 and 180 pound and I feel just right on this bike. Some of my friend are 6,1 and 240 and I tell them they look ridiculous on a r6 and 600 especially lowered. Johnny

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent some time on a 636 and a 600RR besides my 900. I gotta say I'll stick with my old 900.Its a lot more comfortable for starters, and as far asmy friends and I haveseen so far, mine is the fastest. I even beat my buddy's 04 GSXR750. But I guess its all in what you like and I like what i got.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM

I test rode an '05 600rr last year and while it was feather-light and razor quick with the handling, it turns quicker, faster and easier than any bike I've ever ridden....it also had to be revved very high to get any real power.

The 900rr is the perfect bike for me too, I hardly have to shift anymore and that is taking some getting used to!

That's a GOOD problem to have, am I right?

Quick Reply: Your 900rr vs a modern sportbike