CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

What are the bads of a worn rear sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the bads of a worn rear sprocket?

Hey everyone!

My 1993 900rr has about 21,000 miles and a custom rear sprocket with 3-down or 3 less teeth.

I looked at it and the teeth are hooked slightly. I'm guessing they are worn out.

Whatdamage can this do to my bike and what can it do to performance?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What are the bads of a worn rear sprocket?

3 less teeth and you are guessing its worn out or not?? Most probably a bad quality custom made.

This can be dangerous; will cause the chain to slip and breaks apart as well. High speed gear changing, wheter upwards or downwards could be dangerous too.

I suggest you change a complete set of front & rear with the chain as well.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM

How much do you think I could expect to pay parts/labor and are there any brands you recommend?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Some pics would really help with this one...

It could be fine--it may be just an illusion with caked grime around the teeth.

A lot of people like to do the '520 conversion' on their CBR's. The 900RR comes with a 530 weight chain, which means the sprockets needs to be 530 as well (tooth angle). Someone may have done that and mixed it up, or just replaced the chain without changing the rear sprocket, leaving it to get more and more knackered...

It is kind of a pain in the *** to change your own sprockets and chain, but at least you might save some money on the actual parts before you take it in for service by buying online or something. I recommend it.

I'm a big fan of stock components...these are the OEM drive specs...

Front sprocket: 16 teeth
Rear sprocket: 43 teeth
Chain weight: 530
Chain length (number of links): 108

Chain and sprocket kits can be had for around $150. Personally I buy them separately, usually I don't see the best chains put in a kit, and a good 10k lb strength chain will make the whole system work better and last longer.

EK, RK, DID, all good...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

A lot of people like to do the '520 conversion' on their CBR's. The 900RR comes with a 530 weight chain, which means the sprockets needs to be 530 as well (tooth angle). Someone may have done that and mixed it up, or just replaced the chain without changing the rear sprocket, leaving it to get more and more knackered...

It is kind of a pain in the *** to change your own sprockets and chain, but at least you might save some money on the actual parts before you take it in for service by buying online or something. I recommend it.

Chain and sprocket kits can be had for around $150. Personally I buy them separately, usually I don't see the best chains put in a kit, and a good 10k lb strength chain will make the whole system work better and last longer.

EK, RK, DID, all good...

Thank you for the expert advice!

That is the exact info I need. I'll take a picture on Wednesday my day off. Sorry I meant to take one this afternoon but forgot.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Excellent info dinez. I had no idea it could be dangerous.

ORIGINAL: dinez74

3 less teeth and you are guessing its worn out or not?? Most probably a bad quality custom made.

This can be dangerous; will cause the chain to slip and breaks apart as well. High speed gear changing, wheter upwards or downwards could be dangerous too.

I suggest you change a complete set of front & rear with the chain as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

EK, RK, DID, all good...

Thank you for the expert advice!

That is the exact info I need. I'll take a picture on Wednesday my day off. Sorry I meant to take one this afternoon but forgot.

SPIRIT is the MAN... [sm=hail.gif]

Any info, I mean ANY info related to any parts of the bike will be his finger tips...

The other best conversion people will go for is the 15/45 sprockets. Well I'm not so sure if really all of them like it though..

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Excellent info dinez. I had no idea it could be dangerous.
I think dinez thinks that there are 3 teeth broken off. If that is the case then yes, it is shot and needs not be ridden on anymore.

If you mean that there are 3 less than stock, no.......that is not dangerous by itself.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get stock spaced sprockets for about 50 bucks from the dealer. Its pretty damn easy to install if you know anything about how mechanical things work. The chain on the other hand is going to be anywhere from 70 to 150 for a good one. So, thats a minimum of about 120 plus labor (around me labor is usually 60 an hour). the job shouldnt take a good mechanic more than an hour; I got mine done in about two hours but had no clue what I was doing haha.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info!

I just called South Seas Honda on Oahu and they said they don't work on bikes older than 10 yrs now!

What the heck??!! Talk about servicing your customers.

I am still in shock

Quick Reply: What are the bads of a worn rear sprocket?