CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo!!!

How hard is it to put a turbo on a 99 honda cbr900rr???
Have you guy's seen this done on this kind of bike.
Any info will help..

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not hard. are you going to inject it or keep the carbs?

Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

I've had 2 turbo bikes.

Its either difficult or expensive depending on your talents.

You can either buy the whole set up for 3-5 grand-ish....

Or you need to scratch build the exhaust manifold, exhaust and intake plenum. Install and route oil lines, re-calibrate carbs or switch over to fuel injection (which I did) that requires everthing on the intake side plus electronics and wiring. And then tune it all whcih requires some strong expertise. Its' also best to stack a head gasket or so to drop compression if your planning on running alot of boost.

That's the general jist anyway. Need at least pretty decent fab and welding skills.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
I've had 2 turbo bikes.

Its either difficult or expensive depending on your talents.

You can either buy the whole set up for 3-5 grand-ish....

Or you need to scratch build the exhaust manifold, exhaust and intake plenum. Install and route oil lines, re-calibrate carbs or switch over to fuel injection (which I did) that requires everthing on the intake side plus electronics and wiring. And then tune it all whcih requires some strong expertise. Its' also best to stack a head gasket or so to drop compression if your planning on running alot of boost.

That's the general jist anyway. Need at least pretty decent fab and welding skills.
what would you say is safe psi for stock engine 900rr? 8psi?
what about a fully built?

the only thing stopping me are my fcr41's cause im scared to modify them anymore than i already have. that and the whole pressurizing them with blow throw setup.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Mmm, 8 might be pushing it.

6psi will give you something around 115-135hp. 8psi will put you in the 150+ HP.

"Built" depends on a few factors, ie biult for turbo/NOS or built for NA.

Generally if your building a motor for a turbo or NOS you would run a lower compression ratio as both naturally increase combustion pressures with use. If you biuld a high compression motor and than force induct it , you can get to dangerous levels in a hurry.

Shouldn't have any issue running carbs , although for some reason I had much better luck tuning Mikuni than kehins. Kehins seem to be more finicky. Ultimately on the drag bike we went to FI, mostly for easy tuning and ability to run highly custom maps. Be sure to run a quality waste gate.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM

"Built" depends on a few factors, ie biult for turbo/NOS or built for NA.

Generally if your building a motor for a turbo or NOS you would run a lower compression ratio as both naturally increase combustion pressures with use. If you biuld a high compression motor and than force induct it , you can get to dangerous levels in a hurry.

Shouldn't have any issue running carbs , although for some reason I had much better luck tuning Mikuni than kehins. Kehins seem to be more finicky. Ultimately on the drag bike we went to FI, mostly for easy tuning and ability to run highly custom maps. Be sure to run a quality waste gate.
currrently mine is running a bit high (12.5:1) for the 900rr, however i thought with a decent gasket and adding the nitrous to cool (tune for turbo first, then nitrous added second) i could pull it off.

i meant built as in "can take the stress" ive talked to a few guys and my rods, cams and pistons should be able to take quite a beating. ive honestly enjoyed carbs on the drag more than fi, sure its easy to map, (and the whole fuel cut off + power commander addons make it amazing) but im an old school guy.

i was going to ask which kind of turbo you might recommend for our size bikes (900rr) (mine is 2mm over at 954). t3? cause ive talked to a few guys and i actually think that might be a bit too big. anything you might recommend (maybe off like a bmw twin? or something like that?)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Just be careful , combustion pressures increase exponentially. NOS creates more presssure on it's own regardless, in part to the colder intake charge. Add it all together and it can be brutal on your bottom en. I ran as little as 9.5/1 running alot of boost. That bike made nearly 400hp at the rear wheel tho. Like 396 or 8 or somthing like that.

But I'm no super turbo techy guy so keep that in mind.

We ran a T3s and GT20s on the ZX12. That bike was bored to a little over 1300 so I think that would be a bit strong for a sub liter bike. Its hard to dial boost down real low and get reliable perfeormance, they generally like to free wheel IMO. I'd probably go with like a GT12. That thing will get you well into the 120HPs and its had an internal wastegate. Nice little package and works nice on 'normal' bikes. I help a friend put one on a 1000 a little while back. I liked that setup myself.

They're a little pricey but another I know went with an Aerocharger (sp?). It was damn cool, had a pressure controlled variable vain system. Never seen anything like it before. The vains back off as load drops off and it acts like a smaller turbo then when you get on it they dail back in and give you full boost. That went on a Harley with a Screaming Eagle motor on it , like 100ci+ or something. Might be to big still. Cool tho.

Are you doing an everyday driver or a track only bike?

Last edited by zaqwert6; 07-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Just be careful , combustion pressures increase exponentially. NOS creates more presssure on it's own regardless, in part to the colder intake charge. Add it all together and it can be brutal on your bottom en. I ran as little as 9.5/1 running alot of boost. That bike made nearly 400hp at the rear wheel tho. Like 396 or 8 or somthing like that.

But I'm no super turbo techy guy so keep that in mind.

We ran a T3s and GT20s on the ZX12. That bike was bored to a little over 1300 so I think that would be a bit strong for a sub liter bike. Its hard to dial boost down real low and get reliable perfeormance, they generally like to free wheel IMO. I'd probably go with like a GT12. That thing will get you well into the 120HPs and its had an internal wastegate. Nice little package and works nice on 'normal' bikes. I help a friend put one on a 1000 a little while back. I liked that setup myself.

They're a little pricey but another I know went with an Aerocharger (sp?). It was damn cool, had a pressure controlled variable vain system. Never seen anything like it before. The vains back off as load drops off and it acts like a smaller turbo then when you get on it they dail back in and give you full boost. That went on a Harley with a Screaming Eagle motor on it , like 100ci+ or something. Might be to big still. Cool tho.

Are you doing an everyday driver or a track only bike?
just drag.
it's funny im putting more power to it now, since i dont have any traction.
ive got a pp pure on the back now, about to move to a shinko 003 or prolly the hookup a bit.

the only catch is im keeping it stock wheelbase,
looking into about 30lbs of lead under the headers to compensate.
i have experience with turbo and nitrous, however not mixed.
honestly i think ill wait and see how she likes a bit more retard, maybe some higher octaine gas, and see how far i can push her on nitrous. few of my buddies are saying i could get 150 out of her (at 40hp now on 93)

since its cheap to buy jets and whatnot, i may go in that direction for now

Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM

next friday imma try out the 1/4 mile on 80shot and see how she likes it.
the fcr's are so tall i just drilled em before the manifold and they fit perfect.

if you didnt see em before:
Name:  P6110016.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  P6110009.jpg
Views: 2811
Size:  100.9 KB

it's not as good as direct port, and i gotta tweak her a bit as she's running 13.5 on nitrous, which is a little scary to me as ive been keeping her near 12.5 a/f.
got an innovate A/F gauge on her though, so i've kept her well rich.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM

you can see the black fogger better here.

Quick Reply: Turbo!!!