CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Sythetic OIL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sythetic OIL

whos running Syth in there older 900rr s and how you like it
im thinking about going over to it
never used it ever before but shes got a few miles on it fig it be time maybe to give her
something good. to drink

Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sythetic OIL

I always fed her with semi synth and it works well.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM

i ride honda synthetic in mine and i feel its a necessity because i ride hard,... racing through the kettles (twisties in wisconsin) holding 7-8 grand, redlining on every straight away.... syntheitic is all i run.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 AM

Yep, semi-synth in my 1993 Blade runs very well. Mineral oils degrade waaay to fast and dont provide as good protection especially on cold starts.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 AM

just fillled her up with syt. now
just never used it before
i mean on my last truck i had 481K and never used anything but reg. penzoil
but im giving it a shot.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:16 PM

My two cents is that a moto should only get full-synthetic oils. I have recently been doing a lot of reading about oils because my car is a VW passat with the 1.8 turbo. There is a lot of controversy regarding those engines becuase of sludge issues, and audi and VW have both made synth oils mandatory to enforce the sludge warrenty on thier engines. Another site that i thought was really informative was bobtheoilguy.com.

Bottom line is: Use synths becuase of better ability to withstand shear force (super important in bikes becuase of the wet clutch), and also better because maintians viscocity better under high temps (motos run way hotter than cars, especially around the friction points). Also is helpful to know that what are called 'full synthetics' and 'semi-synthetics' are different in different countrys. Group IV oils are considered full-synthetic in the US, but semi-synthetic in Europe and a lot of other countries because they are actually highly refined-mineral oils. These are the lowest grade oils I use in anything. I have also been sending in oil samples for analysis for my car and my bikes every-other oil change for about the last 4 years, and the Group IV (full synth in the US) oils do hold up noticibly better than the Group III that I was using before.

I have also been reading that it doesn't matter what full-synth you use, as long as it is not marked as EC (Endegy Conserving) oils, becuase they create less binding force in the clutch and cause it to slip. I have used them several times and haven't noticed it as an issue, but I am not a really hard rider so may just have to push the clutch a little harder to have it as an issue. Whew . . . long post, now i'm done.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info MI, I feel its just adequate enough for a 10 year old bike to get a semi synth and the most important should be the presicion on geting the oil changed when its due.