CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Stator plug melting - what would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator plug melting - what would cause this?

My '93 900RR was having some problems with keeping the battery charged and I fixed that by replacing the stator and the regulator/rectifier. I replaced both parts at the same time and have not had any problems with the battery draining after a long ride since doing so. Just a while ago, out of curiosity, I decided to check the stator plug that connects to the wiring harness underneath the seat. It's beginning to melt around the connectors much like the old stator's plug had done. What would cause these wires to heat up so much that they melt the plug? Both the stator and the regulator/rectifier were aftermarket direct replacement parts. This plug is the one that connects the three wires from the stator to the regulator/rectifier. The only place that I'm seeing this melting is at this connector under the seat.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM

I also replaced my stator/RR on my GSXR with aftermarket parts (electrosport I believe), and was still having charging problems. I noticed that the wires on the aftermarket RR started to smoke while troubleshooting. After comparing the OEM to the aftermarket I noticed that the wiring on the OEM RR was larger gauge. I replaced the aftermarket parts with new OEM parts, and it charges just fine now.

Are your OEM parts larger gauge wire then the aftermarket parts?

Last edited by Flyboy; 04-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM

After looking at the old stator and the new, the wire size seems to be the same.

Old stator showing the melted plug at the end of the yellow wires. I think this was an OEM stator.
Name:  IMAG0243.jpg
Views: 6822
Size:  17.5 KB

Another view of the old stator wires and melted plug and the new stator wires (red). The wires look to be the same size.

Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 7002
Size:  37.6 KB

Not the best picture here, but if you can see it, you'll notice the new stator plug is starting to melt where it connects to the wiring harness under the seat, exactly like the old stator plug had done.

Name:  IMAG0241.jpg
Views: 6621
Size:  37.2 KB

Like I said before, when I replaced the stator, I replaced the regulator/rectifier at the same time. Since the stator wireless look the same, what else might be causing this plug to heat up so much that it melts? As far as I know, the wiring harness was never replaced on this bike and doesn't appear to need to be. Should I be putting dielectric grease on these connections and does that help at all to keep heat down?

Edit: Just noticed you said you had noticed the wiring on your R/R was of larger gauge than your aftermarket replacement. On my bike, I didn't have to replace any wiring when I replaced the R/R. It mated with the OEM plug that is attached to the wiring harness. The R/R plug consists of five wires, three of which are yellow and connect directly to this stator plug shown in my photos.

Last edited by patches_mcmatt; 04-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM

I would just keep an eye on it. Maybe inspect it every oil change. Does the new stator put out more amp's then the OEM?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Also make sure that the connectors are good and tight. Sometimes loose connections can cause shorts/arcing which would get the wires hot enough to melt the harness. Unfortunately, I know this from experience...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Mine did the exact same thing, i took out the connector and just wired it directly, the wires still get really hot though, but haven't melted.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM

This is the result of a 30 minute ride this afternoon. I've sent this photo to Rick's Motorsports to get their suggestions, since the stator is one of theirs. The OEM side of this connection under the seat is still in great shape. The stator side is burnt to a crisp now.

I couldn't find much information about this particular stator on Rick's website, just that it's a direct aftermarket replacement for the OEM piece.

I may go the same route as exz5string and just connect these wires directly to one another and see what that does. exz, how did you keep the wires from touching? I'd imagine wrapping them with electrical tape would be useless as it would just melt and make a mess. I'm thinking about using some of these Gardner Bender 10-121 Butt Connectors Red 22 To 16 Wire Gauge at HardwareAndTools.com

Name:  IMAG0244.jpg
Views: 6976
Size:  45.9 KB

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM
December 2011 ROTM

Wow, that is a familiar sight! Patches, I had the EXACT thing happen to me. I had a Rick's stator that burned to a crisp on me in about a half hour. Mine burned enough that the wires touched and killed the bike on me. I wound up getting another harness and going entirely back to OEM and haven't looked back since. I would try exz5string's suggestion of hardwiring it first and see what happens. Perhaps you could solder them first followed by wrapping them with electrical tape. Take her for a ride around the neighborhood and see what happens.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Really hated to have to pay so much for an OEM stator, but if I have to, I have to. Not much you do about it. If you gotta have it, you just gotta have it.

Turns out Rick (from Rick's Motorsports) has a bunch of women working for him. They followed up on my inquiry yesterday and told me that Rick wanted me to call him directly to talk about it. I worked late today so I wasn't able to give him a call, but probably will tomorrow and I'll update with what he says. I'm probably going to wait until I get his suggestions before connecting the wires directly to one another. Rick might want to replace my stator or something. You never know.

$341.34 for an brand new OEM stator for a 93 CBR 900RR from CheapCycleParts.com. Know of anywhere cheaper?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
December 2011 ROTM

$296.29 from Mr. Cycles. Definitely talk to Rick. Hopefully, he will have some insight to what is happening.

Quick Reply: Stator plug melting - what would cause this?