CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprockets

I want to go -1 +2 on my sprockets. I have a 99 900 rr. I should get a 15 in the front and 45 in the back correct? Also what is the difference in the 520 chain and 525?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sprockets

Yes you are right.

Its the size difference between the chain size. Of course going for the lighter 520 chain will add some extra punch on the bike performance but I'll give it a second thought when safety concern involves here.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM

Someone was advised to do something like that for their 1000rr in the 1000rr section.

But others said a newer rider should seriously re-consider if he or she doesn't have much experience on the bike.

Like Dinez said, might want to take a moment to think about it first.

How long have you been riding the 9?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've ridden bikes for about 4 years but this is the first bike witha great amount of power. Everything else has been cruisers. I've been on the 9 for about 8 months. I'm going to take my msf in March. It will be another month or two before I make this mod, for now I'm just asking about it.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM

I've heard that the lighter chain has a tendency to wear out faster, but are you saying that the 520 could potentially snap because of this?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:31 PM

I've heard the same thing too, that it can wear out faster, but I dunno about it snapping.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM

I would say the 520 chain was originally designed for bike below 500cc. People so called designed the 520 with proclaimed lighter and better products to be fit for much powerful machines. Wearing out sooner than expected is one thing but which manufacturer can really assure it can't be snapped? Anyway I've seen post here people using the 520 chain without any problem as well.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard of anyone snapping a 520. I am sure its possible on the newer litre bikes if you pull a lot of wheelies, dumpt the clutch, and are generally abusive to the drive train. I run an RK X Ring 520 and RK claims it is actually stronger than the 530's. X-Ring chains offer superior lubrication and performance over standard O ring chains, that is a fact. Also, if your getting an aftermarket sprocket setup chances are the rear sprocket will be aluminum and that will definetely wear out much faster than the chain, or the stock steel sprocket. I can tell you that I have the 15/45 gearing and the bike accelerates harder and wheelies are easier to pull with the throttle alone. I find that first gear is fairly useless now and is really just to get me rolling, the engine just winds up too quickly. I havn't felt that the upgrade really made the bike any more dangerous but you need to be judicious with the throttle on corners because the added torque multiplication of the gearing will spin you out faster. All in all if you feel that the stock gearing is holding you back than the 15/45 gearing will offer an improvment, but you will lose service life mileage on both the sprockets and chain. Good luck, and whatever you do, buy quality.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

How the bike is going to perform with a -1 +2 set up had been described by 900Fighter. The pros and cons need to be weighed for your personal satisfaction here. Running a lighter aluminum sprockets will cause a burn in your pocket for sure. I guess another problem will be your speedo will be eventually inaccurate too.

I settled for a stock steel +1 rear sprocket and it suits my ride.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up Dinez? Its funny you mentioned the speedo because the guy I bought my -1/+2 setup from claimed that from the factory the stock gearing had a much greater error than when you switch over to the 15/43. I have not checked this fact out yet but he told me that the speedo error would be less with the new gearing. Could be a sales pitch, and in the end your talking about plus or minus 10 MPH and we all know that when you get pulled over on a bike, its cause you were doing like 30 or 40 MPH over the limit. Don't try giving the cop an excuse about how your speedo isn't accurarate from the factory...that never works. The +1 steel sprocket that you run is the best all around bet and I can tell you that when my aluminum one wears out I will go back to steel. Again, its not like I got on my bike after doing the conversion and felt like it was a different ride, the aceleration and performance gain is nothing incredible, especially for the end price. Maybe longevity and service life is a better investment. Have a good one guys.

Quick Reply: Sprockets