CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 PM
dd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reoccuring Charging Problem????

Your problem is its not charging. The stator only makes voltage w/engine running. 12.8 volts is just battery no load volts. You need to have around 15 volts measured at the battery engine running at about 5k rpm's. The first thing is get rid of the aftermarket reg. Go w/the Honda part, ask any dealer svc. mgr. its pretty common.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: dd

Your problem is its not charging. The stator only makes voltage w/engine running. 12.8 volts is just battery no load volts. You need to have around 15 volts measured at the battery engine running at about 5k rpm's. The first thing is get rid of the aftermarket reg. Go w/the Honda part, ask any dealer svc. mgr. its pretty common.

I know it is 12.8 no load. I said I tested it with the bike not running. I haven't had a chance to test it running again yet. You should try completely reading a post before you respond to it. At the beginning it wasn't charging then if you read it says I rewired the r/r. And have tested it a few timescold (not running) Maybe that confused you but then my next post said my book says it should be 12.8 not runningand that is what I had.and it has been consistant. And I said I have't got to perform the other tests yet. Besides whats wrong with an aftermarket r/r? Oh and I'm not a moron I know that the stator only makes voltage when the engine is running.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 AM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
dd

If I asked for some help on here for anything, I wouldn't rag on the people I'm asking to help me!!
I read your posts and you didn't mention once whatyour running voltage is. Just your engine off volts. And no I don't think your a moron, yet! If you don't want help just say so.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!

Well I finally got time to do all the tests today(been working a lot lately). Passed every one of them. So the problem was in the r/r connector. I have heard the Honda makes a twopiece connector for it but have not yet found one. So if any one else has this problem I suggest either getting that or just tearing apart the connector and using single wires. I'm glad to be back on the road.About to go for a ride right now.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dd

If I asked for some help on here for anything, I wouldn't rag on the people I'm asking to help me!!
I read your posts and you didn't mention once whatyour running voltage is. Just your engine off volts. And no I don't think your a moron, yet! If you don't want help just say so.
You never asked for my running volts(never had time to test anyway). But also in my book it says at 5000rpms you shouldn't be over 14.8. I wasn't necessarily ragging you but you kept telling me I wasn't charging when I already knew that. And you never did tell me what is wrong with an aftermarket r/r. I mean you were basically telling me to start over as I had already replaced that andthenew one wasperfectly fine. I have no problem with you it was just the replies you were giving me it seemed that you didn't pay much attention to what I had said.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

so what was it that fixed this problem...it sounds like i am having the same problem with my 95. all my conectors to the r/r are single wire connections.the r/r has no burnt wires looks to be ok but just isnt working...im going to try to run a meter on it tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: tislow361

so what was it that fixed this problem...it sounds like i am having the same problem with my 95. all my conectors to the r/r are single wire connections.the r/r has no burnt wires looks to be ok but just isnt working...im going to try to run a meter on it tomorrow.
Ya it fixed it that time then it went out again. I know have a r/r of a gsxr1000. It is huge compared to the cbrs. It works great. Real simple install too. If you want more info just let me know.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM

yes i would appriciate that...i think my whole problem is the honda r/r.
thanx bobby

Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Well I was going to put up a link to the post I followed but I can't seem to find it now. It was somewhere in the 600 forums. But basically you can use an r/r of any other bike with a 5 wire system, they had a how to for one off an r1 and a gsxr1000. The 1000 is easier as it has wires and a connectorcoming out of it as opposed to plugging into the actual unit. If your wires are already out of the original harness and have single connectors on each wire you can just plug it right up. You just have to drill new holes to mount it. Just make sure you check the clearance of the fairing before doing any drilling. Since it is bigger you can only mount it a couple of ways. If your wires are still in the connector just cut both connectors off (the one on your bike and the new r/r) and solder then put heat shrink tubing on them. You can use somewhere around 01-04 gsxr1000 r/r others are compatible so you don't have to get that exact one. Mine was from a 750. I can't remember what all ones are compatible but if you take a little time it is easy to find. Just make sure it only has one connector and 5 wires. Some of them have 2 connectors with ? wires.
This is the one you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!