CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Painting my CBR..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense. I can't find anywhere around here to buy auto paint from. Any online merchants that you can recommend?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Much better in person. They usually take back unused product and will tweak and tune colors for you on the spot. Answer questions and make recommendations. If you have any body shops in your area there must be autobody supply places.

Search paint supply, autobody supply. Even some Sherwin Williams home centers have an auto paint department (good paint too BTW)

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Ok.. I still don't know what color I wanna go with!!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM

What sprayer do you recommend zaqwert6?

I mean I planned on painting my bike since it has new panels that are all mismatched in color. Since I am still a beginner rider and I KNOW I will drop it, do you recommend me just doing a rattle can job and waiting for more experience before doing a nice sprayer job?

I mean I have a Craftsman 5hp 30 gallon compressor I use on my car air tools and I think it has a water separator (have to check).

Personally, I would be happy with just a matte white paint job as of now.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM

You should sand all the aerosol primer off and spray from a gun. Its best to have 3 guns if possible. One primer,one base coat and one gun for clear. When talking compressors you can have 100 gallon but if it recovery isn't fast it isn't the best for automotive paint. For the money you may spend. You could do the prep work meaning sanding and making sure imperfections in the plastics are gone and having it painted by a body shop versus what it will cost you to get all the nessasary equipment and tid bits to do it yourself.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by alansupra94
What sprayer do you recommend zaqwert6?

I mean I planned on painting my bike since it has new panels that are all mismatched in color. Since I am still a beginner rider and I KNOW I will drop it, do you recommend me just doing a rattle can job and waiting for more experience before doing a nice sprayer job?

I mean I have a Craftsman 5hp 30 gallon compressor I use on my car air tools and I think it has a water separator (have to check).

Personally, I would be happy with just a matte white paint job as of now.
If your just learning and want to get started on the cheap, get yourself something like this:

Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

They're crude but they work just fine for learning on, are dirt cheap, and still destroy anything in rattle can. Just take it completely apart and really clean it well the before you use it. Your set up is plenty fine for painting small things like bike parts one at a time. If you ever 'upgrade' from there, those guns are fine for primers and even spraying adhesives.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM

15 bucks ??? no thanks on my end.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Well some factor by price tag and some with experience.

I have a DeVelblis that ran around 300 and I have couple others like the HB model. Theres nothing at all wrong with the cheaper guns for a beginner. They get the job done just fine and are without a debate, the best bang for your buck for the home/DIYer.

IMO and of course YMMV.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
If your just learning and want to get started on the cheap, get yourself something like this:

Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

They're crude but they work just fine for learning on, are dirt cheap, and still destroy anything in rattle can. Just take it completely apart and really clean it well the before you use it. Your set up is plenty fine for painting small things like bike parts one at a time. If you ever 'upgrade' from there, those guns are fine for primers and even spraying adhesives.
So would I need three of these guns to paint the primer, color and clear coat?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
Well some factor by price tag and some with experience.

I have a DeVelblis that ran around 300 and I have couple others like the HB model. Theres nothing at all wrong with the cheaper guns for a beginner. They get the job done just fine and are without a debate, the best bang for your buck for the home/DIYer.

IMO and of course YMMV.
You could do much better by buying a used gun off Ebay and clean it very well and buy the tip you need to spray correctly. One you'll have less problems and you'll have a gun you can actually buy parts for. Two if you start with a decent gun you'll have a beeter experience with its use and not maybe be detered from wanting to do it yourself. BTW I have plenty experience.

Quick Reply: Painting my CBR..