CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

1998 CBR900RR running rich or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 CBR900RR running rich or worse?

Hi there,

I have a 98 CBR900RR with just over 30,000 km. When its warm and while its idling, it sounds like it might be missing. When on the throttle, the bike seems to work just fine, and never has any hesitation. I can also smell fuel quite strongly.

Using an IR thermometer I did a little test. I started the bike and let it warm to 130F. From right to left, when you're sitting on the bike, the temperatures of the headers were 240C, 320C, 340C and 180C.

When I blip the throttle, the RPMs return to a steady idle, rather than dipping below and then returning to a steady idle.

Could I be running rich on the outside cylinders? Would that account for the smell of fuel?

If one or both of the coils were bad, would the miss occur throughout the RPM range?

Any thoughts and assistance would be greatly appreciated! I am no mechanic, but don't mind tinkering. Just thought I'd ask in case my logic is out to lunch before I waste my time.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi you could always do the Primary/secondary coil test as 1and 4 cylinders are off the same coil, if that proves right then you have to look at the carbs, maybe even a sync of the carbs could help as number 3 cylinder is the base for sync , get the plugs out and have a look at them see what colour number 4 is

Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the input! I didn't realize the coils split across the cylinders like that. What sort of readings should I get on my multimeter?

I'll start with inspecting the plugs... running rich would be brown and smell like fuel? Running lean would be black?

If a coil is indeed bad, I would have thought I'd experience a definite miss regardless of the RPM range. Does that make sense?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi your primary windings should show 2.5 to 3.2 ohms, the secondary should show 21 to 27.The plugs if running rich will be black ,if lean will be white

Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Thank you! I'll report back with my findings when I get time to dig into it.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi your primary windings should show 2.5 to 3.2 ohms, the secondary should show 21 to 27.The plugs if running rich will be black ,if lean will be white
Hi again,

What are your thoughts on these plugs. Photo 1 is from a cylinder that I suspected was running rich, photo 3 is from a cylinder I suspected was running lean.

Photo 1:
https://i.imgur.com/9dbPvUj.jpg

Photo 2:https://i.imgur.com/uN9A1yQ.jpg

I will attempt testing the coils. The problem is that a previous owner seems to have done a seriously pathetic electrical job. Perhaps that's the source of my problems anyway!

Thanks

Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bmor89
Hi again,

What are your thoughts on these plugs. Photo 1 is from a cylinder that I suspected was running rich, photo 3 is from a cylinder I suspected was running lean.

Photo 1:
https://i.imgur.com/9dbPvUj.jpg

Photo 2:https://i.imgur.com/uN9A1yQ.jpg

I will attempt testing the coils. The problem is that a previous owner seems to have done a seriously pathetic electrical job. Perhaps that's the source of my problems anyway!

Thanks
From looking at that picture number one picture definitely rich, second picture from that angle looks not too bad, definitely need a coil test

Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
From looking at that picture number one picture definitely rich, second picture from that angle looks not too bad, definitely need a coil test
Thank you!

I've attached some more photos for the coil test. Seems a little more complicated than the instructional video I watched here:

https://i.imgur.com/dHlVUJT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/728lXCn.jpg

There are two, 2-wire connections going into each coil. I am having a hard time finding where to test the resistance due to the electrical work that's been done to the bike already...

Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Nevermind, there are two 1-wire connections entering each oil. I am getting 3.2 ohms for the primary for both coils, but don't get anything on the secondary...

Looking like I better order up a new coil

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm doing the test right. I can't get any secondary resistance for either plug using either coil. Surely if both coils were bad, I wouldn't be able to start and run the bike at all.

Last edited by Bmor89; 07-17-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bmor89
Nevermind, there are two 1-wire connections entering each oil. I am getting 3.2 ohms for the primary for both coils, but don't get anything on the secondary...

Looking like I better order up a new coil

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm doing the test right. I can't get any secondary resistance for either plug using either coil. Surely if both coils were bad, I wouldn't be able to start and run the bike at all.
For the secondary test , put your multimeter probes into the two spark plug ends for the same coil. one in each plug cap

Quick Reply: 1998 CBR900RR running rich or worse?