CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

My cbr is eating my gas and not starting and i mean EATING

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My cbr is eating my gas and not starting and i mean EATING

wheres it going? i just installed numerous new paarts into my 93cbr900 and the pump sucks the gas out of the tank but the fuel pump only turns on when i try to turn over the bike and it continuously pumps away and shoots all my gas into my carbs but wont start! where is it doing and its not leaking! like its litterally sucking my gas out of my fuel filter after it fills it up all the way and just takes it all in less than 2 seconds of my trying to start it but it wont turn over, it wants to turn over realllly bad and sometimes is will with the choke on but it revs super high! and then sputters and dies out then wont start again. any suggestions? im new to this bike stuff and i have done everything myself properly but now my bike is acting up again and when i give it throttle on the choke itll die a majority of the time! its sadddddd grrr, any help would be aprreciated! sorry ima noob! hahaha

Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Default fuel

sounds like the fuel is filling up your carbs and flooding your engine. Looks like carb refill time....

Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Floats could be stuck.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM

I mispelled "REBUILD" time

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM

First, it seems like the pump is working properly.

If the gas is coming out of the carb bowl overflow hoses, very likely you have one or more stuck floats. You will need to remove the carbs, disassemble them and most likely you will only need to clean them thoroughly.

You will probably need 4 new carb overhaul gasket sets because the rubber seals dry out and crack over time. Each set is about $23 each, which is steep. The floats need to be within Honda specs, so you will have to measure each float the way the manual or book says to. If the float is out of spec then replace with a good float.

When removing the float bowl, be gentle so you don't bend the floats, and make sure you don't hurt the float valve seat in the carb body.
Don't soak the carbs in a carb cleaner. Instead, disassemble everything you can on each carb, spray the carb bodies with carb cleaner and all their small passages very thuroughly, use compressed air to blow out all the passages. There is one passage with the fuel strainer inside the carb body - make sure you blow in the IN side of that passage and not the other way around. That is a little fuel strainer in there and carb cleaner won't harm it. Don't over tighten the nuts and screws on the carbs.

Another thing to check are the starter enrichment valves; the seals should look good on them , if not that can fill up a carb with fuel also. Double check to see if your carb rack still has the enrichment spring on there.. it's about 1 inch long and 3/16" diameter.

I buy parts for my '93 from Ron Ayers - they usually have all need. Here is a link to their carb microfiche: Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1993>CBR900RR>CARBURETOR COMPONENTS

Since you you will have the carbs apart, you may want to consider upgrading the jetting with a Factory Pro standard drop-in kit: CBR900, Honda, EC997a Eddy Current Dynamometer

--848SD

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Wink

BTW, there is a small sub filter box behind and just below the air cleaner box and it has a foam filter element in it. That foam tends to deteriorate and disintegrate and send little pieces of foam into carbs which can clog jets and potentially cause the floats to stick too.

Make sure you you inspect that foam filter. If you see it disintegrating, you will have pieces in your carbs - don't ask me how I know ;-)

--848SD