CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

inst. cluster change. 98 RR

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inst. cluster change. 98 RR

i have 98 CBR900RR that has been down...i am thinking several times. the instrument cluster all seems to work except the speedometer, which is broken. i either need to replace the speedo [expensive$$$] or replace the whole cluster. since pre-98 clusters are so much easier to find, what all do i need to make the change....i am thinking a pre-98 wheel and speedo drive, cable, and what not. is there anything else, like for the tach and turn signals, etc?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 PM

you can find a complete cluster on ebay for like $100

Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Only the 93-94 had a speedo drive on the wheel. The 95-97 was driven off of the front sprocket and yours is driven off of a sensor in the case on the output shaft, You will at least need the 95-97 cluster and the sprocket cover and sensor. I don't know how much trouble it will be to wire though

Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM

i found a 98/99 cluster for $125. looks to be in pretty good shape. but i have been considering converting to a 17" front wheel. for that i have the wheel, rotors, speedo gear, cable, axle....just wondering about stuff like the tach and fuel guage, temp guage, odo. i suppose i need not worry about it, and just put a spacer in place of the speedo gear, and stay with the stock 98 cluster.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:55 PM

If you have a 17" wheel with the speedo gear, What bike did it come off of? The F3's didn't have the speedo drive on the wheel. I have the F3 wheel on my 99RR, The stock 98-99 Rotors will not fit the F3 wheel. The bolt pattern is different, I have the blackbird 1100XX rotors on mine. If you are staying with the 98-99 cluster you won't need anything, It bolts right up to your 98. Unless you trashed your upper cowl stay, I have a spare stay. But the inst. cluster mount has been moved back about an inch, I was going to use it on a street fighter. It could be cut and moved back to the stock location

Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 AM

the wheel i have is an F2 wheel i originally got to put on my 900F. the F2/F3 wheel and radial tire combo is a popular upgrade for the older bikes. i want to go to a 17" front wheel because of the wider availability of tires, and because i was told that the 16" front wheel stock on this bike [the 900RR] can cause head shake and stability issues while accelerating in corners.
at this point, the whole idea is just that...an idea, and an exercise in "fiddling" more than anything else. since i have only had this bike a couple weeks, i have not noticed any problems with the rumored shake, and i am aware there are 16" tires available. the more information i have on this modification, the more clearly i will be able to see what i really want to do.....so i gotta ask a few questions.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:27 PM

The only time I ever experienced a head shake was under wide open throttle, The front tire was just skipping on the pavement. I have a sprint steering damper on it just for general principles, The main reason I went to the 17" wheel is for tire selection. How will the F2 rotors work on the bike? your stock ones are 320mm and the older are 296mm, With the F3 wheel I used the stock spacers. I would be interested in seeing pics of the f2 wheel on your bike, I personally do not like the F2 rotor style. But that is just me, I have Galfer full floating wave rotors on my bike now. I also have a performance machine Chicane 17" wheel for your bike, It is polished aluminum and much lighter than the stock wheel. I ran it for 3 or 4 years and I liked it, Some people don't like the wheel design

Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 AM

yea, i probably won't be buying aftermarket wheels or rotors. the stockers work just fine, and if this conversion is too much of a PITA to accomplish, i will be sticking with what is on now. maybe one of these afternoons, i will dig out the 17" wheel and try it out just to see what it looks like. i guess there is not much interest in this conversion.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Just FYI the pm wheel is a direct bolt on, Uses stock spacers and rotors

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM

here is another silly question.....can the odometer on these digital gauge sets be adjusted?

my original odo reads about 12,000 miles....and the one i got reads 37,000!! i know the dangers of adjusting odometer readings...and in some states it is even illegal. but since this is a gauge swap, i would like for my odo to read the original mileage my bike actually has.

any thoughts?

Quick Reply: inst. cluster change. 98 RR