CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

I have a question about the air filter!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 10:45 PM
|
Default I have a question about the air filter!!

Hey guys is about that time!! when i have to buy some parts for my baby!!
My question is should i get the original air filter or should i go for the K&N???

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

There are 2 advantages to a K&N, last time you buy a filter and better airflow.

If you'll be putting serious miles on a bike, the cost becomes advantageous.

More air is fine...as long as you don't lean out the carbs.
The K&N alone might give a slight hp boost, but we're talking bare points here.
If the K&N is the only change you make to the air path, you shouldn't have to re-jet.
If you change the exhaust as well, be prepared to do so.
That's when you might begin to see performance gains.

If you're not chasing the 1% or are a high-miler, OEM will do fine.

Hope this helps, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 05-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 | 06:29 PM

TL;DR - K&N filter are no good for '01 R1s and RC51s when it comes to power when you're running stock fueling and stock airbox.

I've had two bikes where the K&N was a detriment to performance, my '02 RC51 and my '01 R1.

*Somewhat tedious story about a couple personal experiences with K&N filters on two different bikes*
I purchased the R1 with a stock filter. When it came time to change it I wanted to try a K&N because I always ran cotton filters in my cars and it was my first big bike and figured the K&N would be best. At the time I had stepped up from a 250 so this bike was powerful regardless, but what I do remember is when I first rode the bike the front end would always want to just stick straight up in the air when I gave it anywhere past 3/4 throttle at almost any RPM. After the K&Ns it felt a lot more tame and I didn't give a second thought to any loss in power (like I said, recently moved up from a 250). In retrospect, I realized the K&N probably robbed that bike of a lot of the grunt that give it its reputation because I remember racing quite a few people at full bore and barely getting front end lift later on after the filter change.

The RC51 came with the K&Ns and I figured hell, I'll just run 'em since they're there. It's pretty common knowledge among RC51 owners that the K&Ns destroy the bottom end power while giving very little up top (if anything) but I was lazy and decided to keep the setup I had. I decided on a whim to throw in the stock filters and all of a sudden my bottom end became mega smooth and the bike pulled like a freight train. Very noticeable difference.

*Some kinda explanation based on very rudimentary understanding of engineering*
The main problem is that any OEM engineers their airboxes to move air through at a certain "frequency" which is matched to the design of the stock air filter. This affects the air flow all the way from the air inlets to the tip of the exhaust (even past that if the aero is engineered for that). Sometimes an aftermarket filter can give you more power (My friend swears by the BMC Race Filter on his '07 CBR1000RR and many reports show that the S1000RR benefits from the BMC filters as well), but some aftermarket filter designers don't account for the acoustics engineered into the design of the factory air box and I think that's what happened on both of my bikes. More air doesn't not necessarily mean more performance, rather, air directed in the correct directions and in the right rhythm does.

The R1 was carb'd and the RC51 has an early form of fuel injection which doesn't compensate for change in airflow.

Old 05-24-2013 | 06:08 PM
|

Thanks for all the info!!! i will be getting the air filter!
The other par that i need for my bike is the chain. Im getting
a Drive chain tool set, I was thinkin on getting this one.
Motorcycle ATV Drive Cam Chain Breaker Cutter Riveting Rivet Repair Tool Set | eBay
With this chain..
1996 1997 1998 1999 Honda CBR 900RR 900 RR CBR900RR White 525 O Ring Chain | eBay
and for the tire.
Honda CBR900RR 92 99 180 55ZR17 Bridgestone BT016 Rear Motorcycle Tire | eBay

Please let me know what you guys think about the parts that I'm getting. and
please tell me if you know of a better place to get this parts!!

Thanks
Vlad

Old 05-24-2013 | 07:43 PM
Administrator - Retired

I agree with you, Raylee. I always go with stock filters for that exact reason. I had a PO who installed a K&N and the bike stuttered like hell in the mid-range because of it. I fixed it on the carb side, but still. I found out later that it was a notorious problem with a lot of bikes.
On the cbr, I just buy stock filters. They're only like $12 or some bs, and how often do you really need to change them? Not very much.

Old 05-24-2013 | 07:55 PM
Administrator - Retired

oh yeah... and as far as the parts, I have a DID type chain tool that's a knockoff (but a good one). It seems you never really know with some of those. I would check out reviews if possible. Some are weaker than others.
On the chain... I wouldn't get that one. I would look for a brand name like RK and pay a little more. I don't like to skimp on chains at all.
As for the BT016, it's really a matter of personal preference(and checking reviews). Nothing wrong with bridgestones, though.

Old 05-24-2013 | 10:06 PM
|

KD Tools 82807 11pc Ratcheting Tap Die Drive Tool Set | eBay
what about this one it looks a lot better.

Kilgoretrout!!!i need just the chain i look for that brand but i can only find the kit, it comes with the chain and the sprockets. i found this one..
Honda CBR 900RR 900 RR 1996 1999 Volar O Ring Chain White | eBay
i dear a couple of good reviews on this one.

Does anyone have the K&N air filter on a 99 Honda CBR900RR what do you guys think should i get it or just go with the original air filter??

Old 05-24-2013 | 10:34 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

When you replace the chain you need to replace the sprockets as well. if you dont than your chain is going to wear out faster than normal. On top of that the better quality chain and sprockets you buy, generally, the longer they last... As in 20k+ miles. Also, I personnally keep my front and rear tires the same type, If I want to switch up one of my tires than I will replace both, just gives me the warm and fuzzy to trust my tires. Ultimatly its your desicion no mate how much advice you ask for.

I currently have a K&N filter in my bike and I will be replacing it with a stock air filter or the BMC one.

Old 05-24-2013 | 11:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

You can get a set of JT steel sprockets for about $60 and an RK X-ring chain for $99 shipped.
I would probably go that route, but it's up to you. And if you can spare the extra $15 for the gold version of the chain, I think it's well worth it.
As for the tool, do you know anyone who owns one that would let you borrow it? If not, I can't really help you there because I don't have experience with all the different brands/off-brands.

Old 05-24-2013 | 11:33 PM
|

the tire that I'm getting is the same one that i use to have. so both my rear and front tires will be the same brand, the only difference is that the rear one will be newer then the one in the front. And do i really need the sprockets??? mine look new??

kilgoretrout I was thinking on borrowing the tool from one of my friends but im going to need it later.

Quick Reply: I have a question about the air filter!!