CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

How do I remove sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I remove sparkplugs?

Mine was not a 929. It was a 1999 CBR 900RR. It had a 919cc motor in it just like yours. LOL.

Again, I used the factory tool kit peice and I'm sure that makes all the difference in the world as it slides right in and you put the factory tool kit wrench on the end of it and twist away.

The magnet is a good idea as well or a piece of rubber hose will work.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Dude go to your local honda shop and order the damn sparkplug wrench then get a ten mm eye wrench to twist the spark plug wrench the spark plug wrench has a magnet in it so when you pull the wrench out the spark plug will come right with it but you need those 2 tools! ALPHA

Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM

There's no way I can get my hands in there, not even talking about space for a wrench.
Take off the ball glove and put down the 1/2" breaker bar and full size 5/8" socket and step away from the bike! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Just messing with ya man.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM

hello!!! i had my spark plugs changed today and my air filter, and my bike sounds much nicer now but it smells like it's burning oil or some sort of acidic substance!! although there is no smoke coming out of the engine!! the mechanic told me that is the carbs and that they need to be replaced, but i doubt it bc my bike was runing perfectly fine before they worked on it... one more thing, anytime i try to gas it all the way, the bike won't accelerate linearly, it would kinda stall at high rpms, idk wtf this guys did to her, but im taking her back tomorrow so they can check her!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boostUo,
does your bike have a k&n filter? If so it sounds to me like they might have over oiled it. That smell is probably the extra oil being sucked out of the filter and into your carbs. Also too much oil in the filter can choke theengine down (starving for air)hence ur acceleration problem.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 AM

My manual told me to remove the side covers, so i tried that and man it was a mission to get any plug out. So I did exactly what jerbear done and it is the most easiest way to access the plugs. It might not be the easiest general way to get to the plugs but for the 1993 900RR, or at least my bike, it definitaly is the easiest.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 PM

thanks for the reply!!! Actually we found that they forgot to put back some sort of rubber that covers some wires and that was touching the headers which was giving off that smell!! but i still have the acceleration issue, my friends test drove that bike, he has a 93 1100 gsx, and he said that my bike was way faster than his, but i still feel like my acceleration is not right, like if there wasn't enough gas getting to the engine!! do you have any idea at what mileage are we supposed to clean and sync the carbs? mine has 7700 miles! thanks agains

Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 PM

By "accelleration not right" I suppose you mean that there isnt the kick you expect from the CBR, or maybe there is a flat spot in your rev range. Its worth having your carbs cleaned out and have your fuel mixture reset by someone who knows what your bike needs. You dont have to replace your carbs, they just need a clean and tune up. With your bike stalling at high RPM, that sounds like a MainJet blackage, or your air/fuel mixture was incorrectly set. If you are adventurous enough, its worthwhile getting a manual for your bike and learning how to clean your carbs yourself, so that you know exactly what is going on in your bikes engine.

It might not be exactly the model of your bike but here is a link to a manual I found on the net.

Its a +-40mb manual for the 1996 to 1999 CBR900RR. I have a 93, but I learned a lot about my bike from this manual.

http://www.cbrextreme.com/index.php?...ew&iden=16

Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And dont just try to clean your carbs with a spray can of carb cleaner.get the stuff I use, a 5 gallon bucket of berrymens carb cleaner solution that you can get at almost any parts store. Just make sure when you tear your carbs apart that you have removed all the o-rings and set them aside when you soak the carbs and jets. The cleaner solution will cause the o-rings or any other rubber part to grow 3 times its size and will never shrink back to its origional size. If you do decide to clean the carbs your self make sure you get the berrymens solution, and soak the carbs overnight. When removing the carbs from the solution, hose them off with water , then blow them off with an air gun. doing the same as the jets as well. as far as the jets go you will need a torch tip cleaner to scrape away any excess tarnish inside the jets, and forthe secondary jet you will need a bristle from a wire brush to clean the passage way. ( torch tip cleaners arent small enough). And then I like to take some fine steel wool and lightly buff the float seat paying close attention to where the o-ring sits, and polish inside the seat where the float needle rides. Also lightly polish your floatpin and throttle needle. Then reinstall all your o-rings, checking to make sure there arent any cracks. Then reassemble your carbs in the opposite order you took them apart.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Thanks all lot to everyone for your replies!!!! I will try getting that done tomorrow afternoon!!! I'll keep you all posted!!