CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

How do I remove sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove sparkplugs?

I have a 98 Fireblade Can any one give me some tips or tricks on how to remove the sparkplugs? What do I have to strip?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Default RE: How do I remove sparkplugs?

Gas tank, air intake box(plastic air ventalation ****), coils i think. then unplug the caps and remove. first time I did it i did it in around 1- 1.5 hours. Now I can do it in half that time.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 AM

You can just remove the mids an go in through the side. takes about 10 minutes to do all of them that way. You need to use the plug wrench that comes in the tool kit to do it that way

Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autozone has a badass swivel sparkplug socket that i taped to a short extension. works perfect...i also use a piece of hose or an old plug boot to start them in strait, then drop the socket in and tighten.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Tool kit.......reach in through the side panels and do work!
Nothing needs to come off except the plug wires.

If you do not have the tool kit, well, I expect it might cause complications but with the kit it really is as easy as it sounds.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM

well, wish i had known that i didnt need to take all that off.... but my manual had instructed me to.. o well learn something new every day.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 AM

Unfortunately the one tool missing from my toolkit is the one for the plugs. Can anyone show me a picture of what it looks like?

On my F3 I could get my hands in from the side and after some cuts from the radiator I got the plugs out but on the 900 it's a whole different story... There's no way I can get my hands in there, not even talking about space for a wrench.

I got them out using my F3s sparkplug tool after removing the radiator but I just want to see if it looks the same as the CBR900s. Maybe theres a easier way?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 AM

Are you wearing a baseball glove when you're trying to reach in there? LOL

I fit my hands in easily from each side and got em right out. I dont see what could possibly be in your way. Hell even my 315lb friend got his out on his 94 just by reaching his big ol mits in there.
I dont know what to tell you other than I could do it on my 99 and for all intensive purposes a 98 and 99 are identical.
Didn't get any cuts, bruises, hell, I didnt even cuss getting them out which is odd when working in such tight spaces. LOL

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Dude my hands aren't that big
Even with all the fairings of because they are getting painted theres just not enough space between the frame and the engine to get my wrench in. (Maybe on the left sparkplug but the other three are inside plus you can't get in from the right hand cause of all the pipes and stuff.

Your right I think the only difference between your 929 blade and my 919 is the design of the tail-piece

I was surprised not to get them out (on the CBR900) because I've already managed to remove the plugs from my CBR600 without having to strip any fairings (so I thought myself quite an expert by now)

Maybe you're doing some trick or something...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM

I did it this way I have big hands so I know it's very do-able from the sides. All you need is a small extension, a plug socket 5/8ths I think and obviously a wrench for the socket. I was lucky enough to have a little magnet on a flexible rod as well. drop the socket in the plug hole, insert extension then the wrench. Loosen the plug, pull out the tools in reverse order and I used the magnet to pull the old plug out. Repeat in reverse to put the new one in. They are all easily accessible from the sides without removing anything but the two side plastics. Hope it helps

Quick Reply: How do I remove sparkplugs?