CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

high rpm stutter problem 95 cbr900rr

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high rpm stutter problem 95 cbr900rr

hello everybody, got me a little problem here. i got me a 95 cbr900rr

i just recently sorted out a charging issue with my bike and got everything running good. been driving every day i can since i got her back together.

all is going well, and me and my buddy go for a ride. now i havent been beating the bike up since i just got it and am kinda scared to rip it cause i dont want to brake anything.

well we were messing around on the highway, and i noticed that when i open her up full throttle and try to rip through the gears and redline, the bike starts to stutter up top around 8k or so rpms(not completely positive when it starts gonna check later tonight) and it kinda seems like it struggles to go any higher then that.

i dont know if it happens every gear, but definitely from 3rd and up and definitely in 6th gear cause i was trying to pin the bike. so i'm wondering what is the cause of this, because it just sucks not to be able to kill it, ya know. otherwise the bike runs good, good power, good torque, just this stuttering problem at higher rpms.

i was thinking the carbs or maybe because it's gas is gravity fed, and the motor is just starving up top. any help or suggestions welcome

Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 AM

It's not the gravity fed gas. I also am gravity fed and it rips all the way to the rev limiter. Did they leave a fuel filter inline? My next easy guess would be that it is clogged. I know it is probably not smart but I removed my filter. If there is no filter check the fuel shut off valve. There is a screen inside that. For something to cut out at higher rpm's it either has to be starving fuel or spark. I also had an electrical problem thought I got it resolved. Got 3 laps in on the track and she cut out on me. Bad cell in the battery. It had charged up full and was showing correct voltage from the battery butafter running it for those laps it drained it enough to drop the voltage below 11volts and kill the spark. From what I understand the voltage regulators on these get hot and melt inside the plug shorting the connection out and not giving the correct volts to the coils. I sure hope it is a clogged filter.(alot easier to fix!) I used the inline glass cartridge filter available at any auto parts store.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:05 PM

thanks for the replay. pretty sure its not a charging issue. i just replaced the stator and the rectifier and straight wired everything together. been getting good charge i check that everyday. not sure about a filter issue.

also what is the gap on the plugs supposed to be? cold that be the problem?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM

sounds like a fuel starve problem, but if you have not checked out all the parts in the charge system, look it over real good , like "powershot" said the rectifier and or plug could be the culprit, very common on these older blades. on my 93 , i had to replace stator and rectifier as well as the battery.my wire harness from the stator had melted at the plug. The new stator had a new harness with it. see my pic of the new style rectifier, they put some very cool finns to keep it cool.GL

Attached Thumbnails high rpm stutter problem 95 cbr900rr-cbr-pics-024.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bambam
sounds like a fuel starve problem, but if you have not checked out all the parts in the charge system, look it over real good , like "powershot" said the rectifier and or plug could be the culprit, very common on these older blades. on my 93 , i had to replace stator and rectifier as well as the battery.my wire harness from the stator had melted at the plug. The new stator had a new harness with it. see my pic of the new style rectifier, they put some very cool finns to keep it cool.GL
yeah it cant be the charging system cause i replaced the stator and the rectifier with a bigger finned one and staight wired everything up. the bike dont overcharge or undercharge evertything is ok with that. i check everyday before i go ride, and after we stop someplace or whatever. i got stuck before because of charging issues so i am real **** about making sure that its working correctly.

i dont think i got a filter on either. the hose coming off the pecock goes straight to where the carbs are. so i dunno. i really dont want to strip the bike to clean the carbs.

i'm gonna change the spark plugs and see what happens. i think the gap is supposed to be like .31-.35 or something.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm gonna change the spark plugs and see what happens. i think the gap is supposed to be like .31-.35 or something.
Wouldn't hurt. The gap should be .035, tho.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

ok then.. check yer vacumme line goin to the petcock and be sure it is not melted or cracked in any way, ive had this little tube cause problems.. maybe the petcock is not getting enough vac at higher revs...this line is crucial to getting fuel...just somthin else to check bud

Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM

kool thanx, gonna check everything out tomorrow and see whats up.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM

If your gonna tear it down far enough to get the plugs out, your right there to pull the carbs. Just my thoughts on getting it all done and out of the way beside on the 95, I'd rather pull carbs then getting to the plugs lol.

BAMBAM where did you get the rectifier and/or rather who makes it?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stien514
BAMBAM where did you get the rectifier and/or rather who makes it?
its the new design that they sell as a factory replacement, shinoa (ithk) i get alot of factory parts for older hondas @ Beaverdam Honda , they have a killer look up section on lots of bikes...

Quick Reply: high rpm stutter problem 95 cbr900rr