CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   Hey guys I'm David I just bought a Honda 900RR a few weeks ago and have a question :) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/hey-guys-im-david-i-just-bought-honda-900rr-few-weeks-ago-have-question-156671/)

david86 10-04-2017 01:59 PM

Hey guys I'm David I just bought a Honda 900RR a few weeks ago and have a question :)

First of all I'm so proud to be an owner of this bike. Everything about it is sick to the bone. Its a 900RR 1998
Maybe I'll upload a picture. I have been reading and hovering in this forum just for tips and tricks. Seems like a very friendly community.

My question is. When driving it seems to rev kinda high even in 6th gear.

For example say I'm going 80 MPH my tacometer is at 5k RPH when I'm at 65 MPH itd at 4K RPM is this normal? I think it would be a little lower. Like maybe the previous owner changed the sprocked to do wheelies or have more torque. Anyways maybe I'll just check the sprocket. What do y'all think.

Thank you all ahead of time. I'm happy to be here.

74demon 10-04-2017 03:14 PM

You are on the right track. Check the size of your sprockets and compare to the stock size.

Hawkwind2016 10-04-2017 04:59 PM

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to take the plunge and join :D

I think most people lurk for a while to get some info and then join, 'cos it's a great place!

I've got a 900 as well, mines a '97, so the model previous to your's, but still very similar.

As far as your rev's are concerned, I would take a look at the sprockets (like 74demon suggested). Often the number of teeth is engraved on the rear sprocket, saves you having to count them all :icon_special:

Do us all a favour and fill in your details in your User CP, just to let us know where you are in the world. It will help us to help you with any problems you may have. Who knows we may even be neighbours!

Feel free to post pictures, we all like them ;)

scutfargas 12-03-2017 09:56 AM

Hi David,
For reference, the stock sprocket sizes are 16 in front, 43 in the rear. RPM at 60mph with stock gearing was 3723, so you aren't too far off from where you need to be. My bike is completely stock so I will try to pay attention to RPM's at 80 on my ride and report back. Like the others said, welcome to the forum and post some pics!

Scott

Gunk 12-03-2017 01:13 PM

That sounds very highly geared, mine is hardly doing any revs in 6th at that speed. If it’s previously done some track work it may well have been geared down for more acceleration.

scutfargas 12-03-2017 09:30 PM

David, I went for a ride today and paid attention to the tach and speedo. On my bike, when going 80mph, my tach was around 4800rpm. When the tach was at 5000rpm, my speedo read around 83mph. My bike is completely stock and has never had even one modification so I don't think you are that far off.