CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Hey everyone! just picked up a 93

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everyone! just picked up a 93

Hey everyone, new here, and just picked up a 93 cbr900rr. The bike is mechanically sound it seems, needs a cosmetic overhaul for sure. I just have few questions, and I am sorry if things have been asked before, I did search and found the answer to some of my questions. What are the areas that should have inspection on this bike? Common issues, etc. I searched and found the noisy clutch issue is common, my clutch is noisy untill i throttle or pull in the clutch.. so I am going to try and live with that, its just one of those things.. Painting the bodywork on this bike seems pretty straightforward, but as far as the tank goes, what does everyone use? I need the change the fork seals, I have rebuild many dirtbike inverted fork assemblys, So I dont think I should have any issues with some conventional forks, But is there any special tools needed? I know yamaha forces you to buy this obnoxiously large socket with cut-outs in it. This thing has some sort of very well made bolt on swingarm extensions, what exactly is this good for? I imagine it helps keep the front wheel down, but I am not much of a "stunter" type rider. This this effect the handling in any other way? last, What are your favorite vendors (online) for getting aftermarket/stock replacement parts? Thanks all, hope to learn alot here as I work on this bike over the winter months.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM

Sorry, I hit enter between a few of those sentences, but when I hit post it turned into one big run-on sentence.. Irritating to read. And I cant edit it since I am new. Sorry guys. I swear I can type correctly.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

eBay...eBay...eBay....it's an older bike, many don't stock our parts. Search eBay but don't buy until you research. Many great deals.

How many miles on your 93? So members will have idea. Post some pictures.....

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be good to go now......
Welcome to the asylum !

I swear I can type correctly

Sum uv uz spik engrish to sum tymes

Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
December 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by JaredTowne
This thing has some sort of very well made bolt on swingarm extensions, what exactly is this good for? I imagine it helps keep the front wheel down, but I am not much of a "stunter" type rider. This this effect the handling in any other way? last, What are your favorite vendors (online) for getting aftermarket/stock replacement parts? Thanks all, hope to learn alot here as I work on this bike over the winter months.
Congrats on the bike! The extended swingarm will absolutely affect handling, and in a negative way. They are usually put on for show, however they are excellent for straight line stability and keeping wheelies down for drag racing. If you like to hit the corners, which, in my opinion, is the main thing that separates motorcycles from cars, then you would be better off removing it.

You can still get some factory parts from places like cheapcycleparts and Ron Ayers, but eBay will be your best bet.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the replys..

I worked on it a little for the first time tonight and I am not super impressed. I pulled the gas tank, and found a airbox that looked a little "off".. I removed it (simply grabbed it and it basically fell off). on the bottom side in yellow writing it says "96 900rr". Great, already found cobbled together items. There is missing vent lines, fuel filter is nasty, and plugs are toast. ..

There is also a couple electrical plugs that have nothing plugged into them. .

Easy to replace items, but still.. just a bummer you know. it shows lack of maintenance, which I do not like.

Thanks for the input on the extenders, I kind of figured that. They are coming off.

Glad I didn't pay much for this bike..

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Got a little deeper, and have a couple questions, as well as a couple pictures.

First, in the storage compartment, along with other misc items there was these wires, I was wondering if anyone has idea what they would be for..

There is a plug not in use next to the headlight plugs, not sure what plugs into there??

Just a couple random pictures, I really hate to show it like this, but there it is. Going to take alot of elbow grease. I started buffin the frame out in a spot and boy it looks good, but gonna take some time!. Going to try my best to bring this neglected stepchild back to life.

Attached Thumbnails Hey everyone! just picked up a 93-bikewires.jpg   Hey everyone! just picked up a 93-bikewiringplug.jpg   Hey everyone! just picked up a 93-bike1.jpg   Hey everyone! just picked up a 93-bikeswingarm.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Don't get discouraged Jared, great things can be done with these bikes. Take a look at FlyingPig's build thread to get some ideas.

Those wires don't look familiar to me at all.
I believe that the empty plug near the headlight was like that from the factory. I will check my bike when I get home and report back.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the words, I guess I just needed to hear some inspiration, hah.

I picked up a honda manual for it, that should help me alot with the specifics. going through the carbs tonight.

Also looking at ordered a complete fairing "kit" . I see alot of options on ebay from overseas, are these garbage?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cosmetic last...how the bike looks is a luxury...you can spend tons of $$$ if you rush too fast.

Focus on what the bike need...get it mechanically sound..make the bike safe to ride...

You can get the fairings when a good bargain present itself.

Are you planning on painting it yourself?

Quick Reply: Hey everyone! just picked up a 93