CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

HELP : Neutral Switch - '97 CBR900RR Project

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP : Neutral Switch - '97 CBR900RR Project

Greetings I am new here and am really in need of help!

I am nearing completion more and more every day on my latest project but I have run in to a few minor issues.

First issue I am trying to fix is this Neutral Switch. It appears that a wire has been cut, ripped or just broke from old age (being brittle) I hunted down the schematics and I can follow it on paper but when I attempt to follow it on the bike I am coming up blank

The harness that I located (supposed to have the neutral switch wiring) has three wires that have a black nylon woven cover on them. There is a wire that goes straight up in to the temperature sensor at the thermostat housing that is for the gauge cluster, one black wire that goes down to the neutral switch sensor directly on the bottom right side of the crank case and then there is a random loose wire.

According to the manual this wire should have continuity at neutral and no continuity when in gear. When I ground this wire the neutral light on the dash comes on perfectly but when I put the bike in gear with that wire grounded the light stays on.

I have looked all around that area for where this wire is supposed to go but I just plain cant find it. If it helps this wire is the middle one on the three wire connector and it is green on the other side of the harness that goes out to the cluster.

Here are some images of what I am talking about.... Sorry for the quality, I am no artist and I did the editing in paint on a laptop... Not my best work but it should give you the idea....

Image 1 - Without my notes

Name:  NeutralSwitchBrokenWire_zpsa96a3ce7.jpg
Views: 6625
Size:  65.6 KB

Image 2 - With help identifying the wires

Name:  NeutralSwitchBrokenWire-WithNotes_zpse0da053a.jpg
Views: 4717
Size:  73.3 KB

As always any help is appreciated!

Here is a video of what I am looking at just in case... Figure everything helps

Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM
April 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by Tupp
Greetings I am new here and am really in need of help!

I am nearing completion more and more every day on my latest project but I have run in to a few minor issues.

First issue I am trying to fix is this Neutral Switch. It appears that a wire has been cut, ripped or just broke from old age (being brittle) I hunted down the schematics and I can follow it on paper but when I attempt to follow it on the bike I am coming up blank

The harness that I located (supposed to have the neutral switch wiring) has three wires that have a black nylon woven cover on them. There is a wire that goes straight up in to the temperature sensor at the thermostat housing that is for the gauge cluster, one black wire that goes down to the neutral switch sensor directly on the bottom right side of the crank case and then there is a random loose wire.

According to the manual this wire should have continuity at neutral and no continuity when in gear. When I ground this wire the neutral light on the dash comes on perfectly but when I put the bike in gear with that wire grounded the light stays on.

I have looked all around that area for where this wire is supposed to go but I just plain cant find it. If it helps this wire is the middle one on the three wire connector and it is green on the other side of the harness that goes out to the cluster.

Here are some images of what I am talking about.... Sorry for the quality, I am no artist and I did the editing in paint on a laptop... Not my best work but it should give you the idea....

Image 1 - Without my notes

Image 2 - With help identifying the wires

As always any help is appreciated!

Here is a video of what I am looking at just in case... Figure everything helps

First of all the above statement you made, (which I highlighted in red) is this the same wire? If it is and you ground it you just did the job of the neutral switch.

I up loaded a diagram for the CBR900RR only it 's for a 1993-1995.

Name:  StartingSystem_zps2e525e70.jpg
Views: 9737
Size:  64.7 KB

There is also a Clutch Diode that is tied into the system and the kickstand switch.

It looks like according to the wiring diagram (attached) that the starter relay gets it's ground through 2 sources, the neutral switch or the kick stand switch. As long as the bike is in neutral the bike should turn over no matter if the kick stand it up or down or the clutch is in or out. Lift the kick stand and it's in neutral it should turn over. Drop it in gear with the kick stand up and the clutch lever need to be in. There's one more thing that's not shown in the diagram I attached. That is if the bike is running, it's in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in, the engine will shut off if you put the kick stand down.

There is a possibility that there are two wires coming off of the neutral switch a ground wire and the wire that goes to the clutch switch diode. you mentioned that the harness you located has 3 wires one to the temp sensor one that goes to the neutral switch and the loose one. I'd check to see if there the loose wire is the second wire to the neutral switch. it might be broken flush with the case or inside the case. if you can locate a parts manual and check the neutral switch for 2 wires.

You can also test the wire going into the case. With a test light, hook the lead to the positive side of the battery, probe the wire going into the case, the key doesn't even need to be on. Does the test light light? now put it in gear does the test light light? If yes to both then you found the ground for the neutral switch and the loose wire you have is broken off of the neutral switch. If the light lights in neutral but not in gear you found the interrupted side of the neutral switch and the switch is internally grounded, probably through a mounting screw.

Start there and see what happens. Then post to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Doug_; 04-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM

Thank you sir!!

I found out where the wire goes in front of the drive sprocket tucked WAYYYYY back there. I would have never found it without some additional forum advice.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM
April 2013 ROTM

Good to hear, glad I could help.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM

hey guys,

Anyone here who can help me with the shop manual for a 93-95 honda cbr 900RR

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM

Hi guys! Ive got a 97 900rr fireblade, that i bought naked. Have been working on it and have come accross a problem with the neutral light. Its mostly on all the time regardless of wether i am in neutral or not, but at times it seems to work, but only for short intervals. Followed the gear lever switch and i didnt find any signs of a loose wire like i suspected. Could the bike has a neutral sensor somewhere?
Any help would be grand!
Thanks in advance, and merry christmas and a happy new year to all!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:07 AM
March 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neutral switch is tucked between 2 parts of the cse on the L/S lower part of the motor. Chhanging it and the wire are really pretty simple. Only issue is you may lose some oil when changing the switch. I changed both of mine out no problem. Wire was the main issue (broke and I attempted to resolder it) but changed both just to be sure.