CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Got my 95 900RR in pieces, please help me get started with winter project!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 95 900RR in pieces, please help me get started with winter project!!!

well, I got it. I am the owner of a 1995 CBR 900RR. It came with an assortment of multi colored plastics and gener pieces that make a whole bike. Although the bike looks as though it had a hard life. It does run and sounds very smooth. It has a two brothers full exhaust which makes it sound even better. Ok, for the good stuff, All this stuff and a great winter project that so far has only cost me $400. Now that I have all this stuff can someone tell me where to start so that I can make this bike road worthy again? Thanks for all your input. I would like to make this bike a dependable commuter bike if that helps.[]

Old 12-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Default RE: Got my 95 900RR in pieces, please help me get started with winter project!!!

Post up some pics. Is there anything missing? Is it all there and at least functioning? If so, I would start by taking the Plastics (all of them) off and cleaning them, most likely painting them all one color. Check the drivetrain, chain/sprockets/clutch/oil. Pull the tank off, maybe check the carbs for synch (sounds like it must run ok so probably no need to completely dissassemble) replace any missing or worn peices. Check Ebay or here. Lots of 900RR parts moving around on here. Good luck. Any questions......post up.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Default RE: Got my 95 900RR in pieces, please help me get started with winter project!!!

Start checking things that will need replacement parts. For example, check valve clearances right away because if they need adjusting, you need to order appropriate shims and who knows how long that will take. Get the order in ASAP. Next I would take the body work to a plastic welder if that needs repairing at all, because again you don't know how long. Basically, do an inventory of all the parts that need repairing/ordering and do that first. While waiting for the parts, you can start preping the bodywork for paint (if you're doing it yourself) cleaning the frame/wheels, rebuilding/cleaning the carbs, or anything else that just requires elbow grease. Have fun.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM

First Off...........Gixxer and Skater, thanks for the ideas. Does anyone know a good website that can show me how to paint the fairings. I would like to do this myself. It would give me a good since of accomplishment. Also, I need to start sanding the tank. It still has fuel in it. I know that I need to empty it before I start sanding on it. How long should a wait after the tank is emptied before I start?

Pictures Coming Soon

Old 12-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Err

if you got to autozone they have packs of sand paper that vary in grit (300-2000) by that and some primer. are you gonna rattle can it or use a real paint gun?

i used duplicolor and some clear coat on a tank and it came out awesome.

krylon fusion always left little paint dots on my ****, so i like duplicolor.

hope you like to sand.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Thanks ERR,

I am gonna use a real paint gun to do the painting. My best friends dad has a paint and body shop. He said that I could use anything that I needed but that he would not paint my stuff as he does not have the time to do it. I thought the use of his stuff was generous enough. I think that I am gonna paint the bike a red color. Not sure what shade yet but, I know that red will look good on this bike.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Err

lucky ****. i need a friend like that...

just a solid red? you should do a fade or something....

Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Dude, I would like totally do a fade if I knew how. The only thing that I painted besides walls in a house was furniture. Like how do you do a fade?

Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 AM

slow down there man, first step is putting the bike together. It dosent matter if every piece of plastic on the bike is a different color. You said it runs good, so put everything on the bike funky color or not to see if you actually have everything you need and that it is for the correct year. (yeah it sounds stupid but when you buya "complete" tailsection for a 98 900rr, and it comes with a right side 98 plastic and a left side 96 plastic, it kinda sucks) Put everything together, make sure all of your fairing mounts are in place, make sure the upper fairing stay is for the same year of plastics and so on. Once it is all together you can tear it all apart and get it ready for paint, in the mean time you should have it looked at by a shop for a service. Any time you buy a used bike, take it in for a service and inspection unless you bought your friends bike and you took him to have his stuff done when he still owned it. Your first service on a used bike is a good insurance to have.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM

OK OK you are right. I am guess I am just a little over excited about having a winter project. So, here are some pictures of what I have so far. I have done some work on the tank. A little filler putty and some sanding. So, without further delay here she is.....dubbed "PROJECT FIREBLADE"

[IMG]local://upfiles/12583/F3354D45180145C292670D80222405F8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Got my 95 900RR in pieces, please help me get started with winter project!!!