CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Expert needed : Something in my airbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert needed : Something in my airbox

Hi all,

I'm currently changing what needs to be, so in the process I'm supposed to open my airbox to change filter.
While opening, I saw a geasy area (squared red in the picture) on the top of the airbox. It seemed like oiled mixed with water to form an orange slime [&:] (not shown in the picture, because I cleaned it ...)

Some oil must be coming up from that little pipe connected at the corresponding place in the lower part of the airbox.
Does anyone know if I should be worried about this ?

Thx,

J

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Expert needed : Something in my airbox

no jp that is for what i believe just an area that water and all the nasty's out so your carbs dont get it, and the oil is from your air filter i believe. and i dont think it is something that you should worry about (unless it completely fills up or something)
take it easy
JonBrown

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM

It's normal to have some residue in there. That is what it's for. But it's not supposed to be a whole lot. How much was there? If it was just a light coating it's fine if it was something that you had to scoop out that would need some looking into.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for your replies mates ! Help and opinions are always apreciated.
There wasn't a lot of this greasy residue in the box. Let's say there was a small spoon of it. That's a little too much for me though, but a quick look at the old filter (compared to a new one) suggests the airbox had not been opened for a while.

This is how you both say, this place is were oil and water are supposed to end up, providing them to get through the carbs.

Just to make sure and have a 2nd view, I went to the local dealer this afternoon and talked to the chief about it. Just as I supposed, the oil comes out of the cylinder head cover. And I certainly made the thing worsen a bit when changing oil by choosing one that's a little too fluid.
Chief is clear about this : there's nothing I should worry about (provided there's not too much of residue) and whould switch to some thicker oil at next drain.

I thought I'll let you know what Mr Honda said about this

J

Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM

You should have ponied up the extra couple bucks and got the K&N filter.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:42 AM

I knew you'd say that
That's true I should have upgraded a little to the KN. Moreover, there are not a lot to add compared to the really expensive OEM filter.
The fact is that I didnt expect to find such a dirty filter when I opened the box. And since it's my daily ride, I ran out of time and had to replace the filter quickly ... I knew the local dealer had OEM, but none of the others resellers had KN, so I went for OEM ...
Maybe next time

J

Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 AM

I thought the K&N allows so much more air that you need to re-jet...otherwise it will run too lean. I don't know, though, I don't have any proof...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

very tru spirit way lean

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Had myself a bad experience with that kind of filter ... a BMC I think. The bike I'm running with (a 2004 600RR) is full stock (championship rules state that) and I thought about fitting a less restrictive filter to improve a bit.
The bike's running like ****e when hot and I'm way behind guys who open throttle at the same time when running out of corners ... I had to switch back to the stock filter until I receive my fuel and ignition reprog ... [&:]

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

I thought the K&N allows so much more air that you need to re-jet...otherwise it will run too lean. I don't know, though, I don't have any proof...
It does require rejetting on some bikes but I just assume most people are not running stocker pipes in their 900's so the rejetting is already done. Mine was rejetted for my pipe and the K&N works very nicely with no other adjustments.

Quick Reply: Expert needed : Something in my airbox