CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Ever consider just getting a newer bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever consider just getting a newer bike?

A serious question guys and gals.

With our bikes getting older and more worn out by the day, and with parts failing and with new and even used parts becoming harder and harder (if not impossible) to come by, at what point do you consider just selling the 900rr and getting a newer or even a brand new bike?

How do you guys keep your babies rolling and healthy, when parts makers are discontinuing parts for the 900rr?

There's absolutely no place that I know that sells a new wiring harness for the '93 900rr.

Yes, I did find a brand new stator for my 900rr, but I wonder if the seller has stopped making them and is now just selling off whatever is left?

What happens when no new stators are made or regulator/rectifiers?

And if our bikes do break down and cannot be fixed ( for lack of parts) who the heck is gonna buy our bikes?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Default RE: Ever consider just getting a newer bike?

i have had that thought also, but i want a new bike but i am afraid that i would either never ride the new bike or stop riding the 900. and i dont really care if i get a cent out of my beatdown 900 because it has given me years of enjoyment. not to mention i probably will never sell my bike.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 PM

I get around it by riding 1500 miles a year...and hoping for the best.

Of course I have thought about it, but my lack of life skills prevent me from getting anything new, much less a luxury sport motorcycle...which is what it would be.

The new BMW S 1000RR looks like the dog's *****, though, mmm...

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
December 2011 ROTM

The new BMW S 1000RR looks like the dog's *****, though, mmm...
I agree!!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM

^^ What makes me so interested, is the fact it isn't all weirded out...no shaft drive Boxer quirky rich hippie style (no offense Beemer dudes lol).

I love that they went after the Japanese...inline four, chain drive, basically the exact modern sportbike layout...just with all of BMW Motorrad behind it...how could it not be awesome.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 AM

I also asked this question on another forum, and a few riders of classic, hard to find bikes, stock up on parts when they can.

I may do that when I have some extra money. Wanna buy a new stator for sure.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
December 2011 ROTM

MT, I try to do that when I can too. If I see something that I know is hard to find or crucial to the bike running, I will go ahead and buy it. I also try to keep my bike up as best as I can to prevent any failures, but they are always possible. The only reason I would buy a new one is so I can modify it heavily to my liking. I thought about doing that to my bike but just can't bring myself to do it. The original 900RR is getting to the age now where they are becoming collectors and they were significant in regards to the progress of sportbikes, so I just don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM

^^ Especially a rare minty 94. Everyone has or had the 93...basically two years of production, plus iconic status now, but I swear those white wheels and your bike's condition will push its value continuously in the future, even beyond that of the Captain America versions. Great bike, scut, I love it. Excellent collector's item.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That BMW looks like a replica cross between a GSXR and a CBR. That must have been real tough for them, take all the design work and layout ideas of all the best manufacturers and just copy it, then strap on the best suspension, and some carbon fibre and step into the game with the big boys...German engineering is crap, I have worked on Mercedes and BMW cars many times and they are nothign special, just 500 extra pounds of sound deadening material and a cushy suspension. I've never thought that the "driving experience" of any German vehicle justified its price. This bike will be much the same, except instead of innovating and bringing some new crazy idea to the table, they just ripped off all the japanese designs. I don't even want to know the price, I would be shocked if it was below 25K. As for our bikes, its not that hard to keep them running, you just need to decide how much time your willing to commit to maintaining and repairing the things that wear out and break. If your wiring harness is shot then go to the book store and learn how to wire a bike. If your reg/rec fries than learn how to wire a universal unit to replace it. As for parts, you should buy the wearable items now, and anything else that breaks can be replaced with universal equipment. I would not use dwindling parts as a reason to panic and pay 10K for a new bike. For every good 900rr out there, there must be 30 that have been crashed, stunted, or just neglected, and those parts will be floating around forever, so just spend a a few hundred now and keep your own little parts store in your garage.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Great advice people!

I will eventually learn how to work on this bike myself, when I get a place with it's own secure garage.

Heh-heh that's my excuse but it is very hard to work on it where i live now.

If I have the bike in pieces, I will not be able to leave it and go into my home for a meal or a nap, because when i come back my parts might all be gone.

You get the idea

Scut, your 900rr is a sight to behold! Keep it, don't ever sell it!

And I finally rode my newly repaired bike today for about 4.5 hrs. It seemed to perform just fine. It has a newly repaired wiring harness that looks okay.

Funny story though, when I went to remove the bolts from the seat to remove the seat, I found there were no bolts...the dealer forgot to put them back on

I rode back to the shop and they gave me brand new ones.

Quick Reply: Ever consider just getting a newer bike?