CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Engine problem - What to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not tried hooking the aux tank to the carbs with them on the bench. I will try that next. And yes, the only things connected to the intake's vacuum ports were the syncronizer hoses. The carbs also have 4 vacuum line connections, but those are capped as well. I need to go back and examine exactly where those open to.

Please keep asking questions... it makes me think!

Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Try removing the cap from your aux tank the next time you start it. I don't think will make a difference but you never know. While you are doing that insure all your aux fuel lines don't go below the fuel pump. I doubt that will affect anything but it will eliminate variables since you are leaning towards vacuum issues. This mighthelp to gravity feed everything.
The cap has a tiny vent hole, but I do also keep it only loosely sitting on the tank. Next run I'll keep it off completely to make sure it is not affecting anything. The hose that came on the aux tank is excessively long. I should really shorten it.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MM900RR
I have not tried hooking the aux tank to the carbs with them on the bench. I will try that next. And yes, the only things connected to the intake's vacuum ports were the syncronizer hoses. The carbs also have 4 vacuum line connections, but those are capped as well. I need to go back and examine exactly where those open to.

Please keep asking questions... it makes me think!
Could you send a picture of the carb vacuum lines ,are they on the rubber inlets?, not sure about these , and are the airvent pipes to the carbs clear

Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 AM

The vacuum inlets (that the syncronizers connect to) are just below the rubber boots. They are really inset under the carbs and I couldn't get the phone in there to take a pic. You're question however, made me think(!) ... there are 4 vacuum line connections on the carbs themselves (actually 7). I've attached the sticker on the air box which diagrams the connections. Anyway, it occurred to me that the connections on the intake manifold (below the rubber boots) are true vacuum lines. However, the ones on the carbs themselves are for sucking in fumes from the canister. The fact that they expect inward flow (rather than being a closed vac line) means that they could possibly affect vacuum and pressure in carb passages (and their being uncapped will most likely not affect the mixture).

I will be gone for the weekend, but as soon as I return, I will try running with those lines uncapped.

There are also 2 large diameter lines which connect to T fittings between carbs 1&2 and 3&4. They are also for inhaling fumes (I think).

In any event, I'll try various combinations of uncapping those lines and see what happens.

I'm off to sleep now. Thanks (as always) for your suggestions and insights!

Old 04-20-2019, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yes the large tubes between 1 and 2 , and 3 and 4 are carb breather tubes and are open to atmosphere, dont think the capping on the carbs in picture is a problem, have a nice weekend , will do some further looking into it

Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 PM

FIXED ?!!

I originally thought stuck float valve(s) would seem to be a likely cause of the symptoms, but those floats were in perfect condition, and the valves had absolutely no tendency to stick in the valve seats. After seeing the results shown in the previous videos, I concluded the valves were not mechanically sticking, but some how vacuum locked opened or closed (or both at different times).

Then the light bulb went on... I had removed all of the intake tract emission control hoses (with the though of eliminating potential vacuum leaks.) I capped all the (what I thought were) vacuum lines on the intake manifold and carbs. Well, it finally occurred to me that some of things I capped were vents, not vacuum lines, and needed to be clear to equalize air pressure in the carbs. I uncapped the two ports (one between carbs 1&2 and the 2nd between carbs 3&4), and the bike started instantly (on choke). I removed the choke a minute later (it kept running!), no fuel fountaining from top carb vents, and it responded to throttle (for the first time in months!)

So, following the soak in carb cleaner (a month or so ago), there was most likely nothing wrong with the carbs after that point. It was simply the capped vents keeping things from working.

In any event, I think maybe I'm out of the woods... and almost on the road. Thanks to everyone, especially CaBaRet and Hamlin6 for all the help, suggestions, and most importantly, moral support. This was quite a journey. If you're ever in Northern California, please let me know... I owe you guys a beer ...

I'll post some pics when everything is back together.

Last edited by MM900RR; 04-22-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

That is awesome news. I am very happy for you. It is a good feeling to get on top of something that has given you fits.
You showed a lot of determination and that is what is needed sometimes.
You should be proud.
I would suggest now that you have it sorted out that you take another look at syncing. You may need to tweak it some.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Well done , glad you stuck at it, Like Hamlin says ,few more tweaks and the open roads are yours

Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
That is awesome news. I am very happy for you. It is a good feeling to get on top of something that has given you fits.
You showed a lot of determination and that is what is needed sometimes.
You should be proud.
I would suggest now that you have it sorted out that you take another look at syncing. You may need to tweak it some.
I resynced them, and there were 2 cylinders that were a little off from #3. Not bad, but I'm glad I checked, 'cause now they are dead on.

It's such a thrill to twist the throttle, and have the RPMs actually increase! Tomorrow, I will start bolting all the body panels back on and hopefully it should start looking like a proper CBR again.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

There is a fair amount of satisfaction knowing your bike 8s tuned in properly. There is even more knowing you did it yourself..
Take pride in that.

Quick Reply: Engine problem - What to try next?