CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Clutch problem cbr900rr '94

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem cbr900rr '94

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum so I would like to introduce myself first. I am Emiel, live in Belgium and I have recently bought a project bike.
It's a honda cbr900rr sc28 from 1994. The previous owner wanted to build it into a street fighter but the project stalled and so I managed to get the bike fairly cheap.
Now I got it running quite good but my clutch refuses to work. I do not know what the problem is since I thought I bought it in working condition but to me it looks like some peaces are missing.

So first my clutch would not engage even if I pulled the lever fully. So I adjusted the cable but then I couldn't pull it anymore. So my next step was to warm up the bike since it looked like the clutch plates were stuck together. Warmed up the bike after changing the oil, even try to move it while in gear to loosen up the clutch plates. Nothing happened.
Let the oil back out, pulled the cover off and took the clutch apart. Gave it a proper investigation and tried a couple of changes but nothing happened. Now maybe I should elaborate on the problem. It looks to me as if the lifter pin or the clutch plates are too far out since I can fully turn the lever (directly above the cover) until it is perpendicular on the block without any resistance. There are 9 clutch plates (in rather good shape) and only the one that goes in first is a bit different. However, I cannot find a judder seat or judder spring anywhere. By looking at the blueprints on cmsnl, it appears that they should be there. (https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr900rr...0.html#results) Thats strange since the whole thing gave me the impression as if the clutch had been working like that. Is it possible that they are not needed? Did I miss something?

I will add some pictures that hopefully will clarify my problem.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you do need the seat and judder spring in first ,and then the large internal diameter disc next , then the other plates and disc's

Attached Thumbnails Clutch problem cbr900rr '94-clutch-plates.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 PM

I was looking to order a judder spring, seat and inner clutch plate but I cant find them for sale anywhere.
Is there a more recent honda bike for example that has a fitting one?
Or does anyone know a good site that has them and that can deliver them fast?

thanx

Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Try here, 7, 13 and 9
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr900rr...0.html#results

Last edited by CaBaRet; 04-21-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 AM

yes I know, I already checked cmsnl but the judder spring is not available... any other suggestions?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at other bikes that use the same
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/mic...che1=reference

Old 05-09-2018, 04:34 AM

Okay so I got hold of the parts and installed them yesterday, but it did not solve the problem.
Here are some questions raised while I was installing the clutch again and that may be responsible for the problem.

- How many clutch plates and friction plates do I need to install?
- How can I see if my clutch is stock? I assume it is.
- Is the last plate to install suppose to be different from the rest?
- Do they all have to be aligned? Because there are grooves that allow the last clutch plate to be installed a turn rotated...
- I have some play on my lifter pin, like in the video below. Is this normal?
- Can the clutch lever be put on wrong?
- Am I suppose to tighten the bolts on the pressure plate firmly?
- Any other suggestions?

thank you in advance!

Old 05-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

You have to put the seat judder first, then the spring judder, then the large diameter Friction plate, then alternately clutch plate then friction plate 8 of each ,build them up then springs in ,be careful not to over tighten as the basket is only cast aluminium, follow the instructions on how to put the cover back ,while turning back the lever

Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 AM

Okay I seem to be doing everything right. Still no way to engage the clutch, even when I put quite a lot of pressure on the lever...
Also I checked a video of a 1996 cbr clutch installation but there doesn't seem to be a special way to put the cover back on so I don't think that will be the problem.
Any other suggestions?

Old 05-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

When you put the clutch cover back on did you turn the lifter to the left (facing the engine)

Quick Reply: Clutch problem cbr900rr '94