CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Cleaned my carbs question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned my carbs question..

I had a mechanic clean my carbs a couple months ago, also had them synced(97 900rr factory jetted and upgrades) recently I had to reclean the carbs because i let the fuel sit.I tried turning it on for a good while finally got her to kick on with good ole starting fluid and fresh gas she warmed up, the very next day I put on the air box and kicked her on but she hesitated, she finally stayed on and then died......i couldnt get her to stay on? what do you guys think i should do next? the only thing i can see wrong is fuel drip from the petcock where its missing a o ring. i would reallly hat to take them off and clean them again

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when you say upgrades, what exactly do you mean?
that might help you get a defintive or more accurate answer..
cleaning the carbs every two months seem a bit soon to me..
but hey at least your getting to know your bike.. maybe you and the mechanic you got, forgot to clean the pilot screws seeing their not slotted and not always obviuos to some people.. including myself when i started figuring out these carbs...
if i can find a picture of what im talking about ill bring it back by the end of the day...
meanwhile tell us your upgrades..thats also very important.. and how recent was the last of them put on..

Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you checked your carb mounting at the rubbers. Or the rubbers themselves for a split. She could be getting too much air. When you did get her to start was it idling slightly higher than usual

Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime you let gas sit in these carb bikes for a period of time all the small holes and valleys began to gum up! Take them off and clean the jets and stems in there you can take off,float valve(thing with the rubber tip) and clean that hole. Put it back together, and start it up! If you don't mess with the mixture screw,and did not take the carbs off one by one then i don't think you would have to retune them. It would be good to clean and tune all at once IF you have the right tools.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 AM

Well by upgrades im talking about the k&n oil filter, exhaust and im not sure what type of air filter but its def not staock it looks like a real soft blue sponge covering where the air comes in on the big intake hoses. I did clean the carbs thuroughly, i was there when the motoman cleaned carbs so i picked it up real quick. I might have not cleaned one of the screws so well, i think its the screw that works with the choke? Anyway the idle was normal i suppose, around 1-1half. I did notice when i reved, the idle feathered out, but it was really minor.From thati gather I might need to readjust a boot to the carb but that wouldnt make it do what its doing. Ill prob end up cleaning the carbs again this weekend just to feel satisfied

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so i think you might need some rejetting... and what i mean is you put in a high flow air filter or someone did!! and exhaust? it depends,
But usually after market will have a little less back presurre (exhaust)..
Coming back to a higher flow!!
sounds to me your bike might be starving for fuel hence rejetting..
unfortuntely your going to have to reclean your carbs and take it from there.. but hey, like before your gettingb to know the bike so thats a good thing, chances of you ever being stuck on the side of the road just got cut in half.. for sure!!
understanding whats in front of you is def half the battle..
jay

Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Yeah well I bought the bike with the high flow on it and I wasnt aware the bike was jetted with the brand "factory" jets until the motoman cleaned my carbs. Im going to clean them this weekend and go from there...womp womp womp..always appreciate the feedback though