CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   Change to gravity fed fuel? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/change-gravity-fed-fuel-19836/)

Skater 08-01-2006 02:11 PM

Change to gravity fed fuel?

Has anyone just bypassed the fuel pump on a 93 so it was just gravity feed? As far as I can tell, the only problem is that the carbs are higher than the bottom of the fuel tank, so you will lose some millage because not all of the fuel can flow to the float bowls. I was recently on a 4 day trip and on the second day my fuel pump stopped. It just seemed "stuck" with some debris or maybe vapour lock, and after a few taps with a screwdriver handle, the pump worked for another 2000kms and is still going strong. However next time I may not be so lucky, so I want to convert to gravity feed.

rippn 08-01-2006 06:21 PM

RE: Change to gravity fed fuel?

Hey skater, feel'n pretty lucky about that quick fix, 'eh?
I had a 84 vf1000f, and a few people in forums had converted to grav feed... the best way is to try it is,ahead of a malfunction. the real question... is fuel supply adaquite. In a manuel, it should say in "fuel pump trouble shooting", how much fuel, in how many seconds, produced by the pump... this should be simple to compare w/ the gravity feed out put.
I remember the pump output was a bite more than the grav. output... altho others said it was fine for them... i set up a typical automotive pump. they come in diff. delivery rates... i picked the one w/ simular rate ( and 3.5lb pressure)and plumbed in a fuel reg too. W/ the fuel reg., even set at full flow(above pump flow) the reg cut the pump output, to below proper flow requirments. so... just the pump, worked great. You don't want to go overboard on flow rate or pressure, as it will overcome the floats ability, to shut off the fuel at the seat, hence flood. I wouldent hesitate to put on on my 94 1000f if the need arose. It all fit under the seat, and isplenty safe, w/ quality fuel lines, and clamps, solid state and vary reliable. Way cheaper than genuine honda too. Good luck, Clean and free, Ripp'n

japanese900rr 08-01-2006 07:41 PM

For all the troubles you'd go through, I just can't see it worth the efforts...[:'(] before wondering of the ways to replace the pump, you might want to line your tank and check your tank filter and line filters. Bottom line for me, I don't want my bike breaking down in some strange place - since you can't just leave a bike somewhere like a car... someone might just dump it on the back of their truck or van and sell it off in peices [:@] It's cheaper when you think of fixing something right the first time then adding up tow charges or losing an entire bike[:o]

mrcycles.com = 111.00 USD
ronayers.com = 117.26 USD

check shipping for whomever is cheapest in total price.

Of course, a gas pump won't run you more then 30-50 USD at an automotive parts store. After all, it's your life on wheels, and your baby you may leave behind somewhere:eek:

vov4ik 08-02-2006 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Skater

Has anyone just bypassed the fuel pump on a 93 so it was just gravity feed? As far as I can tell, the only problem is that the carbs are higher than the bottom of the fuel tank, so you will lose some millage because not all of the fuel can flow to the float bowls. I was recently on a 4 day trip and on the second day my fuel pump stopped. It just seemed "stuck" with some debris or maybe vapour lock, and after a few taps with a screwdriver handle, the pump worked for another 2000kms and is still going strong. However next time I may not be so lucky, so I want to convert to gravity feed.
Well I did. You have to change the fuel valve (on the tank) to another one 8mm with vacuum controll, and so the tubes from 6mm to 8mm. Works fine.

Omar Abdullahi 10-17-2017 01:44 PM

I just replaced my petcock off my 94 cbr900rr with a vacuum actived one that is used for gravity feeding, now I’m confused. I hooked the fuel line up to the petcock and the carbs and no fuel flow is occurring. How do I get the fuel to flow to the carbs to start up the bike? The bike has been sitting awhile so I don’t believe it has any fuel in the engine. Does the fuel level in the gas tank have to be over the carbs full or does that not matter?