CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   CBR 900RR quit while driving (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/cbr-900rr-quit-while-driving-146461/)

Pat_CBR900 05-01-2013 09:33 AM

CBR 900RR quit while driving

Hi guys,
I just recently bought myself a CBR 900RR and everything was going great until last night. I was out for a ride and my bike and it had been about 5 minutes since I got on the highway and all of a sudden my bike just shut off...no more throttle..nothing. Lights and all of the electrical was still on but motor just quit on me out of nowhere. I don't know much about mecanics thats why I'm asking the question to you guys. I have a hard time understanding this because I did about 400 miles on the bike on sunday, and another 100 miles on monday with absolutely no problems at all! When I try starting it, it will no longer start, the starter works but it motor wont start.
Anybody had this problem before?
regards
Patrick

74demon 05-01-2013 10:11 AM

Do you have fuel in it and the petcock to on, or reserve? Sounds stupid, but everyone has done it once.

Pat_CBR900 05-01-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1230069)
Do you have fuel in it and the petcock to on, or reserve? Sounds stupid, but everyone has done it once.

Its not that stupid, it has happened to me before on my previous bike, but yes there is plenty of fuel in it and the switch is on the ON position...I tried it on the reserve position also to see if it would make a difference...
I see a lot of people talking about a Stator problem with CBR-900RR, would this have caused the bike to quit on me while driving?
regards

74demon 05-01-2013 10:24 AM

If the stator caused it to not charge and you ran the battery down enough that it died, it wouldn't crank and have dim or no lights. The bike runs off the battery, the stator doesn't affect the starting and running directly.

Pat_CBR900 05-01-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1230074)
If the stator caused it to not charge and you ran the battery down enough that it died, it wouldn't crank and have dim or no lights. The bike runs off the battery, the stator doesn't affect the starting and running directly.

Crap, ok than I have no idea what it could be! Because the batterie is just fine I tested it and it is perfect!
regards

74demon 05-01-2013 11:00 AM

Are you missing fuel or spark?

Doug_ 05-01-2013 02:39 PM

I know this may also sound stupid, I've done it and not realized what I had done. Did you hit the red kill button?

If not then the first thing I would do after determining the battery is fully charged is to check the fuses. If all fuses are good pull a plug wire and check for spark.

Since you said it just shut off I would tend to say it's an ignition problem. Usually when it runs out if gas it will stumble a few times before it dies.

Pat_CBR900 05-01-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doug_ (Post 1230111)
I know this may also sound stupid, I've done it and not realized what I had done. Did you hit the red kill button?

If not then the first thing I would do after determining the battery is fully charged is to check the fuses. If all fuses are good pull a plug wire and check for spark.

Since you said it just shut off I would tend to say it's an ignition problem. Usually when it runs out if gas it will stumble a few times before it dies.

Ok, I know this may sound really stupid...but How do I check the fuses! I mean I know the fuse box is unter the back seat in the tail of the bike...but I did not manage to take it out or open it!
regards
Pat

ashylarry 05-03-2013 03:17 PM

So it won't idle at all right? It would probably idle, but poorly if it was the fuel pump.

Try disconnecting the stator and rectifier and see if it starts.

For fuses, you'd have to pull each one and see if its blown. I don't have my manual with me at work or I'd tell you which to look at specifically.