CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Cars are terrible things.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Ava
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars are terrible things.

So I went in to work today at 10, got off at 4, and I come around the corner to where I parked my bike and it turns out the damn car I parked in front of (I might point out they had a good 3 feet between the closest bit of my bike and their bumper, as well as space to spare behind) hit my bike as they were leaving knocking it over. One of the people who worked in the building it was in front of saw them drive off not 15 minutes after I had parked, so my bike ended up sitting on its side for 6 hours, broke the front brake lever off, cracked my side, front, and right rear fairings (as well as knicks and scratches) and bent/ tore the akrapovic slip on exhaust. They also dented the clutch cover where they hit it and who knows what else.
The bike started after holding the start button for a good 30 seconds or so, but it seems to shift a bit oddly now, and I have only about an inch of metal to use my front brakes. The ******* just knocked it over - didn't even bother to pick the ****ing thing up or leave a note - and drove off. I called the cops, and basically they told me not to get my hopes up.

Anyhow, rant aside, I was wondering what you guys think I should look over on the bike mechanically (if anything) after having it on it's side for a good 6 hours. Also, anyone with a source (cheap, hopefully? I'm a broke college student) for new fairings - any color or condition as long as it's not cracked (I was planning on painting the bike soon anyhow, once I have the cash - middle right, rear right, and front on a 93), or a new akrapovic slip on (wonderful sound) would be greatly appreciated. Also, apparently after a few drinks I use alot of parentheses and hyphens. Anyhow, thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Ava
Default RE: Cars are terrible things.

Also - seeing as I loved my exhaust (came with the bike) I had never looked at prices for slip ons. I found the one I had on ebay for between $600 and $1200. What? Really? For a damn slip on? It's been a hell of a day, if anyone can give me a ballpark for what I might hope to spend on the exhaust looking around ebay, or parts sites, let me know. I'd rather not get ripped off. All I need is the can. Most of the sites I found are for the full system.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Maybe I should get full coverage [:-]

That sucks man

Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 PM

Sorry about your luck. I try to write down license plate numbers when I leave my bike near cars.. I also look for security cameras to park near so that if something happens, I *may* have some recourse.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

why didnt that person say anything to you ?! that's ****ed up right there

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 PM

What's ****ed up right there is that no-one bothered to pick up the bike or find its owner ALL DAY LONG!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Well those ****s happen to anyone at anytime. Yeah the slip-ons are quite expensive. (made of carbon fiber, what you expect?)

Well based on your bike condition, I don't really think you need to change all the pieces at the same go. Basicly you need to chance the brake lever and since you are up to new painting, bring it over to a pro and see wheter they can patch up the cracks with putty or whatsoever. If you are talking about some minor knock and scratches in your slip-on, I'm sure it can be repaired.

Good luck man.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM

That sucks bro, did the person that saw it at least give you a car description?

As far as fairing goes it's really easy to fix. I've fixed cracks and even rebuilt missing pieces in my fairing. All you need is a little soldering iron, some fiberglass and some time. Then you can take it to a pro to get it painted or rattle can it yourself. Or you can find stuff on ebay pretty cheap if your patient.

Safety should come first so the first thing I'd do is get the levers fixed. You can ride and ugly bike for a while. You're gonna have to take a hit on the exhaust though, even used is expensive.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man thats a bummer I feel for ya. Crap like that happens all the time. Not to threadjack but the samething happened to me about an hour ago after class. I came outside and only see one bike because cars are blocking me. I get concerned then I see the tail of mine on the ground and two cops picking it up. Yup....Hit and Run. Some dumb bitch backed into it then took off. Bikes never been down in 14 years.... Damage = rear tail faring where it hit the curb (IN MOTORCYCLE PARKING),mirror, clutch lever, then the frame sliders took the rest of the blunt. Hope karma gets that ********** that hit yours

Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Ava

Likewise man. Sorry to hear the same thing happened to you. I've only ever had an accident once, in my car, and I left a note on the other car and insurance covered it - why could these people not do the same? Ehn. Time to start saving. Anyone know a good site for cheapish 900 parts?

Quick Reply: Cars are terrible things.