CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Bike sputters and dies, starts again and sounds fine...:S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike sputters and dies, starts again and sounds fine...:S?

Had some issues last weekend. Trip to chicago my chain broke/fell off (and i survived), then on the way home, it ran out of gas. Okay dumb mistake. Up and running, 50 miles later, it starts to sputter like its running out of gas again, then it dies. I wait 5 minutes and she start and sounds fine. 10 miles later, she does it again. I figure its the fuel filter and sputters when i speed cause its not getting enough.

Yesterday it started doing it at idle during start up. I changed the fuel filter and do difference. Still starts up with this choking, sputter sound. Sounds like something is knocking in the engine. I'm changing the plugs today.

What could it be?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Bike sputters and dies, starts again and sounds fine...:S?

It's starving out of fuel, I don't know what year your bike is but from the pic it looks like a 94. The 94 has a fuel pump. the fuel pump sounds like it is not working. The engine will make an ugly knock when it is staving out of fuel. Johnny

Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 PM

I was hoping that wasn't the case but i figured it was a fuel issue. So changing the plugs wont make a difference?!? ..and yes it is a 94. Okay. I guess i have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.. $160!!! Is there some way to test the fuel pump output>????

Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Air filter changed, fuel pump and spark plug. Fixed 3 diffeerent issues and she runs good.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:34 PM

You do realize fuel pumps are an option on these bikes right? I had a similar issue, so I just cut mine out all together. Gravity is more than enough to push the gas to the carbs. Oh, if you have the california model like I have, they put a cap on the tank breather. This is a big problem if you want to gravity feed. What happens is everything is fine until enough gas is pulled out of the tank to create a vacuum in the tank, the more gas used, the better the vacuum, the more the vacuum, the ****tier it ran. So, as a simple solution, pull the ****ing retarded california cap and attatch a short hose so the damn tank can breathe, lol. They insist on doing things different in California, damn knuckleheads. So long story short, mine is now running with no fuel pump, has been for a month. Works great at all speeds and fuel demands. Great up hills, great at high speeds (140 is the max I've had it). And it's on lss hng to go wrong, not to mention 160 for a new one, talk about a rip.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM

hey guys,mine seems to be having a similar prob,fuel pump seems to be working though(can feel it pulsating through the fuel line).
Breather from tank not blocked, but filter hasnt been changed for time now. Only does a couple thousand klm a year.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM

GENUIS...freakin genuis Meeks. I been without my bike for a month (not sayin that i've been tryin very hard to fix it) but I just bypassed the fuel pump and she started right up and sounds fine. However, I could not go over 115mph. I just couldnt pull anymore gas. She sputters if you roll the throttle back too quick sometime but I'm happy.. Thanks Meeks.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Gunk can build up at the bottom of your carburetor bowls and clog the fuel intake--they look like little disks of brown poo poo and they bounce up and down inside the carb during riding. Sometimes they clog, sometimes they don't. Each carburetor has a silver bowl on the bottom that comes off relatively easily. Two screws and it's off, then clean it out with a spray cleaner available anywhere.

Use supreme unleaded. Good luck!