CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

BIKE PROBLEMS NEED FAST HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIKE PROBLEMS NEED FAST HELP!!!

Hey guys got a 96 900rr and was revving and letting off of the clutch slowly and all of a sudden I didn't go anywhere. I have no idea what in the world happened and have no experience with bikes and working on them. Any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the clutch which i was told was replaced with a race clutch recently. I cannot get it to go into first gear as far as the motor goes. The indicator light show it is in neutral and out of neutral but it can't be because it doesn't do anything. I cannot shift out of that and havn't tried shifting with the bike off which I am told the bike should shift with the bike off without the clutch. If that is the case I was told it may have something to do with the clutch. I just bought the bike 2 wks ago and hope its nothing major please if anyone could help give me a call at (248) 361 2735. Please help guys I planned on riding at the woodward dream cruise and now it seems I may be screwed, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Default RE: BIKE PROBLEMS NEED FAST HELP!!!

ok..if you pull the clutch in and put it in gear( while holding the front brake) does it lurch forward and die?? If so, your clutch cable might be broken or worn..or just in need of an adjustment..now if it is revving and going nowhere while the clutch is released( and in gear), you might need a new clutch

Old 08-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Man I can put it in gear with or without bike on/off with/out clutch engaged and it goes nowhere. I was told its a new clutch with less than a thousand miles could it go that easy? So many stunt videos I have watched the guys beat the living snot out of their bikes and I barely even did anything. I am really depressed, especially when I am working all day long at have no bike to come home too!

Old 08-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain[]

It sounds like a broken clutch basket. Don't run the engine until you check it out because if the basket did fracture then you'll have bits of metal in the oil.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Hey man any idea how much it costs? How to tell? How hard it is I have the 2 inch repair manual on the 900 is it impossible? Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is generic info -- your setup may be a little different. It's actually pretty easy to check.

Put the bike on the side stand and turn the wheel to the left -- you want as much lean as you can get. This will minimize oil loss. Your clutch cover (a.k.a. crankcase cover) is on the right side of the bike. Place rags or a shallow pan under the bike to catch any stray drips. Remove the cover being very, very, very careful not to damage the gasket. If you f-up the gasket go ahead and kiss $20- $30 goodbye. Usually there's between 10 and 15 8mm bolts that hold the cover on. Once it's off there's 4-6 bolts that hold on the pressure plate -- remove bolts, washers, springs and pressure plate. Remove all the fibers and steels ******keep them in the exact order that they came out******. Carefully examine the basket for cracks. If it's not bad then you have other issues.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 PM

Thanks again man, already bought a gasket tuesday it was only 13 but the oil was 5 dollars a quart. My buddy i got the bike off of used gn-4 or whatever that honda oil is since 97 so i bought that to use and i honestly don't know what i should do. I tried to find all of these parts but had no luck. Tried bikebandit.com and didn't even see a clutch basket probably because I am a newbie and have no idea what it looks like without hitting me in the face. Any idea how much it is? If you try to send more things call me instead leaving the computer for my home now and wont be back for a few days gointg to watch the tv and be dissappointed about the news of the cruise. thanks again. (248)361-2735

Old 08-18-2005, 10:26 PM

It really sounds as if it needs to go to a shop so they can look at this bike...I know you are trying to save some money here, but if you are new to the bike thing it might be worth it to have someone look at it

Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: quil900

Hey guys got a 96 900rr and was revving and letting off of the clutch slowly and all of a sudden I didn't go anywhere. I have no idea what in the world happened and have no experience with bikes and working on them.
I had this happen on my old Suzuki and the clutch cable broke. I don't know if your 96 has one, but my 1990 has an hydraulic clutch. If mine is low or out of fluid, the clutch won't work. Is there a reservoir next to the clutch lever like the brake reservoir next to the brake lever?

Old 08-21-2005, 10:54 PM

No man I'm pretty sure it doesn't have hydraulic brakes I wish it was going to be that easy but I'm 95% sure its the clutch any idea how hard or know who gives a decent visual? By the way thanks for trying!

Quick Reply: BIKE PROBLEMS NEED FAST HELP!!!