CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Bike died on me in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike died on me in traffic

Was riding today when the bike suddenly dies at a stoplight. Quickly I push the bike onto a nearby sidewalk before the light changes to green.

So there I am, in full leathers in a busy part of town, it's scorching hot and the bike won't start.

I'm about 9 miles from home. I try to push-start the bike, no luck. It seems the battery is dead.

I wait 10 minutes for it to recharge on it's own, no luck.

Finally, I call all the major bike shops in hopes they can tow my bike and all tell me basically they have no one available or they don't tow.

Finally, I try to push start the bike one last time and as I get the bike up to speed, I jump on it only to have the whole bike fall onto it's left side.

What an awesome day!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bike died on me in traffic

That's too bad MT. Did you finally brought her home? I'm curious how the bike didn't respond to push start, unless its eally major.

Hope you are ok!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 AM

Yes Dinez thank you for asking, everything is fine now. I took a taxi home and got my car, then bought a new battery and drove back to my bike.

A really nice construction worker let me park the bike in their lot until I could install the new battery. Then it ran fine.

Now I just gotta test the charging system when I have time. All is well

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 AM

Sorry Dinez, as for the push start I had the bike in 2nd gear and tried to push start, didn't work. The bike would lurch a little but that's it.

Then I tried 3rd gear and 1st gear, same thing. I have never successfully push started a bike.

I must be doing it wrong

Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 AM

Glad everything is ok MT. You know what, My bike stalled yesterday too. Just couldn't fire up. Guess the batteryis out.But I manage to push start her very easily. Just a few roll, jump on the bike, 1st gear then vrooommmm...... I had done it couple of times too.

Anyway going through the time when the bike is out can be really dreadful!! I just hate it..

Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM

Sounds like my problem. Works fine then died, finally got a new battery and it ran great for a couple weeks then died again, battery isn't getting a charge. If I throw the battery on a charger overnight it's good for about a week, then dies again. Your battery may have been fine just not getting a charge. I just ordered a new regulator/rectifier to see if that's the problem, seems that is common to fail on the 900rr...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Same thiing here... its the rectifier! worth every penny. TRust

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Its very important to check the output of a new battery whenever you replace one. The reading should show more than 13v when idling and slightly higher when revving. Anything below than that no good. You batery won't last for 2 weeks. Fuvkin rectifier.

Yes its quite common too. I had changed mine as well; not sure why the battery is out again.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Yes I will check the battery and the stator/rectifier with my voltmeter.

Probably next week or the next. I don't wanna risk getting stranded again and you guys are so right. It is a horrible feeling being stranded.

Bikes can be a blast, but once they stop running, they are a couple hundred pounds of useless metal. [:@]

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 PM

I had the same exact problem on mine about a week ago. Hadn't worked out the problem yet (thanks for the tip on the rectifier!), so I bought about 6 ft. of 12 gauge wire at Home depot and 4 replacement small charger clamps at Napa to make a mini jumper cable to stow in the trunk. Jumping a motorcycle battery from a car is a big no-no (think it is not as bad if the car is off when you do it). But when it comes to being stranded 50 miles from home, wearing leathers and it is freakin' 100 degrees outside, **** THE BATTERY!

Quick Reply: Bike died on me in traffic