CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Another Project 900...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Project 900...

Hey guys, figured I'd make my first post at least somewhat good.

I bought a 93/97(front end and motor) 900RR about two weeks ago, so I've been reading up here. Bought the bike for $1200 with 10,000 miles and some necessary work. The bike didn't start (bad connection to the starter), it needed new plastics, new fork seals, new sprockets, a new chain, new throttle cables, the exhaust pipe had a leak that needs to be welded, and all the basic maintenence stuff (filters, etc). SO, I figured I'd take her all apart and make her my own.
Before the 900 I had a little Ninja 250 for about a year that I used to learn on, and I figured why not learn to fix a bike while getting a bigger one Its ****in fun. Anyway, here's a timeline up to the point I'm at now. All these pictures are taken on a camera phone, so they aren't the best but they should be good.

Bought the bike looking like this.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...1215071709.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...1215071710.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...215071709a.jpg

So, First thing I did was take her all apart to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Thats when I got the shopping list above.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...227071648a.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...1227071648.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...227071648b.jpg

So I've got all of the mechanical parts ordered. gunna go pick them up tommorow and hopefully I'll have them all in by thursday night. I'm sure you could get them all in fairly easily, but I'm learning as I'm going so some things take a little longer.

After all the mechanical **** I'll but putting on all new plastics (Repsol), new mirrors, turn signals, windshield, etc. I might convert the headlights into HID too, not sure yet. So thats my new project, any input is definitely welcome.

PS- Sorry I couldn't figure out how to put the pics in the post.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another Project 900...

Welcome Bro.... nice buy. Looks like it going to be a one hell of a job there.

Good luck on your project and keep us posted with the outcome

Old 01-01-2008, 11:06 PM

BTW: does anyone else see the main wire cluster under their speedo or is it hidden? I can see mine right under my speedo and it kills me.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blank

it kills me.
What kills me is how many nice bikes suffer the indignity of neglect.

I'm glad to see someone that's qualified rescued one of our poor sister bikes. Keep the pics coming Blank, good luck.

BTW, you may have to get creative depending on what sort of fairings you get. The '93 wiring harness doesn't exactly match '97 (like with fuse leads and gauge cluster leads, etc.) and I'm not sure what year harness you have on there now--hopefully '97.

The OEM black panel upper fairing inserts go a long way in covering the harness, but then you'd have to get an OEM upper cowl, if you don't already.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Okay, I was working on her yesterday and will be again tommorow. I noticed, though, that the front axle has a hole on the left side of the tire (if you're sitting on the bike); is there a pin thats supposed to go through there? I feel like that would be a bad part to be missing...

btw: i ordered the plastics this morning... i feel like a kid waiting for christmas...

Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Nope, no pins, you're good.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Alright, Progress made in the past two days:
Ordered plastics
Installed all new filters, sprockets, and throttle cables. The throttle cables gave me hell though, and they still stick a good amount... I'm thinking maybe they have to stretch out a little and get worn in. I've got them adjusted to the best possible position and lubed everything up, so I know its not on my part. If you guys have experience with that lemme know.
I cleaned her pretty well, but I'm still def going to go over her again.
Got all of the "plumbing" for the fuel fixed... I found out that the way the guy before me had it was all rigged up... just like the electric.. go figure. Anyway.. thats fixed now.
Basically, all I have left to do is fix the major electrical problems (ugh), put on the new chain, and it will be good mechanically. Other than that its all aesthetic.
Right now the only thing missing on it is the palstics... no need for pictures.

Anyway, let me know if you guys know anything about the throttle cables... they're pissing me off. I'm pretty damn sure I adjusted them to the best possible position.... yet they still need just the smallest push to go back to the normal position.

So after it works mechanically and I get the plastics, I'm having the tank sent to be painted along with the rims probably, should look bad ***.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM

New throttle cables should move freely and not need any breaking in.... I'm assuming you've already done some of this but I'm going through everything that has given me issues with cables in the past.
The cables run up through a tunnel in the center of the airbox then under the tank mount/mirror stay.... If you're testing with these parts off, try positioning the cables where they will be once those parts are mounted..... this was my most recent throttle cable problem... had me pulling my hair out and turned out to be so simple.... If that's not it... here are some others...
First, disconnect the cables and see if they move freely bu hand without being connected to the carbs or throttle assembly. If they don't, then you got defective cables, if they do, then your problem lies elsewhere.... Make sure they're routed exactly as they should be, If you have too much of a bend anywhere (and it doesn't take much) they can bind up... Make sure you're carburetor linkage opens and closes freely. Also, check your throttle assembly.... it could be as simple as your grip rubbing on either the counterweight or the switch housing. It could be inside the actual assembly.... If you put it together even slightly off, it's easy to do and not notice, then it can be a little difficult to move.... Basically, check each piece, Throttle assembly, cables and carb linkage independantly to narrow down the problem.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeff1980

New throttle cables should move freely and not need any breaking in.... I'm assuming you've already done some of this but I'm going through everything that has given me issues with cables in the past.
The cables run up through a tunnel in the center of the airbox then under the tank mount/mirror stay.... If you're testing with these parts off, try positioning the cables where they will be once those parts are mounted..... this was my most recent throttle cable problem... had me pulling my hair out and turned out to be so simple.... If that's not it... here are some others...
First, disconnect the cables and see if they move freely bu hand without being connected to the carbs or throttle assembly. If they don't, then you got defective cables, if they do, then your problem lies elsewhere.... Make sure they're routed exactly as they should be, If you have too much of a bend anywhere (and it doesn't take much) they can bind up... Make sure you're carburetor linkage opens and closes freely. Also, check your throttle assembly.... it could be as simple as your grip rubbing on either the counterweight or the switch housing. It could be inside the actual assembly.... If you put it together even slightly off, it's easy to do and not notice, then it can be a little difficult to move.... Basically, check each piece, Throttle assembly, cables and carb linkage independantly to narrow down the problem.

Jeff coveered that one pretty well...BTW the hole is to slide something in when youre ready to bolt the front rim/axle on

Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Thats what I thought it was there for, I've got the rim/tire and axle in but I dont have a pin or anything (thats what looks like goes there). Spirit said nothing goes there lol so which is it? I'm looking at pics of other bikes and I don't see anything there.

Quick Reply: Another Project 900...