CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

99 900rr no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008 | 12:19 PM
|
Default 99 900rr no power

Wud up everyone. I've got a problem with my 99 900rr and hopefully someone can help me here with it. Ill start from the beginning. A few days ago I went for a night ride, during the ride I noticed my bike had a hesitation or hiccup. All the lights, gauges, and engine itself cut off for like a second then came back on like nothing happened. I got to my destination and parked it, shut the bike off and went to restart it. I turned the key to the on position and nothing....no power, no lights, no gauges, as if the battery was dead. I towed it to my shop the next day and started to do some tests. Found that the battery had a full charge...13 v. I know that the regulation/rectifier, the stator, and starter relay are good because I had recently replaced those components because of a charging problem I had a few months ago....ummm, I checked the ignition switch because Ive read others have had similar problems like what I have and have come up with the switch being bad. I checked for voltage to the solid red wire and found 12 v going there. I put the switch in the on position and check for voltage to the red/black wire and get nothing. Here's where it gets weird and I geta little lost....now im not getting the full 12 v to the solid red wire....i get at the most 5 v. Am I missing something here? Ive checked the wiring harness for any cuts or openings but haven't found any. I tried jumping the solid red and the red/black wires together to see if the lights come on and nothing happens....the ignition system is a simple circuit but it's really kicking my @ss. Is there anything I'm overlooking here? Thanks for your time, Luis.

Old 12-13-2008 | 12:39 PM
Default RE: 99 900rr no power

are all of your connectors tight and clean? this is a possible cause of the issue too.

Old 12-13-2008 | 03:36 PM
|

Ill definitely check all of them out

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:02 PM

have you checked your fuses?..just becuz your battery's got a full charge on a charger doesnt mean its good how old is it?.Check all your grounds and wires again.also check your alternator.it could be shot..which is draining your battery.start with the fuses

Old 12-16-2008 | 07:31 AM
|

ORIGINAL: 94cbr600kid

have you checked your fuses?..just becuz your battery's got a full charge on a charger doesnt mean its good how old is it?.Check all your grounds and wires again.also check your alternator.it could be shot..which is draining your battery.start with the fuses
Actually battery is 4 months old. I bought a new one when the charging system crapped out.I checked the voltage with a dmm to verify its voltage output. How many grounds are there and can someone point them out to me please cause the service manual I have doesnt list where they're at or I haven't been able to find that section. Stator, like I originally posted is new as well. I replaced it the same time I did the battery and the rectifier.......and fuses are all good. I'm gonna check on the connectors tday since I have the bike here at my shop. Didn't bother with her this weekend. Didn't want the stress. Thanks alot for the help, if anyone has any other ideas as well, please, feel free to chime in.

Old 12-16-2008 | 07:52 PM

Check the rectifier again. I don't think the OEM one can be reliable.

Old 12-17-2008 | 11:04 AM

actually when you are ohming out your starter switch, make sure the bike is in neutral or you are holding the clutch, (it caused me a huge headache with an 88 hurricane) because when the bike is on the stand you dont realize you need to pull the clutch (or at least for me)
hope it helps
JonBrown

little oversights like that (at least for me) are very frustrating.

Old 12-17-2008 | 01:54 PM
|

Update fellas.....I went through a few connectors and cleaned them up and hooked them back up. Now I have 12 volts going to the solid red wire up to the ignition switch itself but still no voltage from the red/blck with the switch in the on position.....what do you guys think? Bad switch?

Old 12-18-2008 | 01:39 PM

Maybe a bad ground or a cut in the wire somewhere or a loose connection. Wouldn't rule out a bad switch but that's just a toggle so there's not much that can go bad there.

Unless the harness has been modified you should have 1 ground and it's right next to the starter motor.

Old 12-19-2008 | 08:42 AM
|

ORIGINAL: stynkmonkey

Maybe a bad ground or a cut in the wire somewhere or a loose connection. Wouldn't rule out a bad switch but that's just a toggle so there's not much that can go bad there.

Unless the harness has been modified you should have 1 ground and it's right next to the starter motor.
I figured that was the main ground.....I actually redid that ground a few months ago with better wiring. As far as modifiying goes the harness is completely stock. Gonna go ahead and do the switch and take it from there. Ill keep everyone posted, thanks alot guys.

Quick Reply: 99 900rr no power