CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

96 900rr Not Starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 900rr Not Starting!!

so, ive had my 900 for about 6 years now. the last time i rode was 3 years ago. i put the bike up for the winter and told myself that i would prep it for winter storage later since i was feeling lazy. the next spring i took the bike out and couldnt get it to turn over. since then its been sitting in the garage. i brought it out this year with a renewed commitment to get it running and back out on the road again. ive had the carburetor rebuilt, flushed and changed all fluids, new spark plugs, new battery, new fuses... cannot for the life of me get this bike to start. ive checked the ignition coils with a multimeter and it looks like ive got no power coming to them. theres power at the starter solenoid. i just cant figure this out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

where do you live ?? what part of the country???

Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM

I live in Illinois

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM

so i asked where you lived for a couple reasons
A: if you were close enough i would have taken a ride over..
B: altitude wise..

well everytime i put the bike up for the season i have my bringing back to life ritual..
one of the things i do is pull the seat and tank.. and electric gel every connection and like you check all my fuses including the big one..

something else to thing about is the choke, when you have someone else rebuild the carbs sometimes they leave the choke untouched.. i know you zeroed it down to electrical but i just wanted to mention that ..

anyway go back check out all your connections "plug type" and unplug and plug back in your ecm "brain' its right under the drivers seat.

have you tried to hard start it??

Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I have cleaned all the plugs and gelled the electrical connections. I was thinking that it could be the stator but was hoping that I could get some insight or if anyone else has had this problem before I spent the money on a new one

Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 PM

the stator on these model cbrs are notorious for failing..
have you checked the stators plug that connects to the r/r directly under the drivers seat??
also if you pull the stator yourself and have it rewound its really not that expensive,, should be less than a hundred and can also buy a complete gasket kit that comes with like a dozen different gaskets that fit different areas of the bike for less than twenty on ebay..
if its been siting as long as you say it has, i wouldnt doubt the stators dead and personally it would only be a certain amount of time if its not already..

Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 PM

I wanted to bump this and see how far you've gotten..
Was it in the electrics or have you decide to wait till next season??

Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 PM

yes plz tells us. I have a 97 and always looking for info "just in case"

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM

I did a little bit more research and found that the ****ty spark plugs were to blame. Ended up swapping out the ngk copper plugs for the ngk iridium tips and she fired right up! But now I realized that there is an exhaust leak somewhere and she sounds like a high powered lawn mower

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM

no way!
i have 97 thats been giving me trouble since i changed the plugs from ngk iridium tips back to copper plugs.
they're brand new plugs but the bike wont fire , it will turn over and over and eventually flood out..
sh-t im going to the parts store and picking up a new set of iridiums, i aslo have a short pipe on my bike which the po put on so now im thinking without those plugs "that" fire hotter it just wont put a charge in the cylinder.
thanks for the update

Quick Reply: 96 900rr Not Starting!!