CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   93 900RR - Opinions Requested (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/93-900rr-opinions-requested-99487/)

Hollywood 08-22-2009 02:38 PM

93 900RR - Opinions Requested

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a '93 CBR 900RR with the factory black/red/silver color scheme, which includes black rims. I've been considering having the black rims professionally painted silver to provide additional contrast.

My intent is to keep the bike looking as stock as possible, adding only subtle and tasteful changes.

Your thoughts / opinions?

Thanks

SpiritRR 08-22-2009 05:12 PM

As valuable as a clean set of black 93-94 rims are ... I'd leave them and buy a used set to paint.

Bike looks fantastic as is, I think. :)

PlayfulGod 08-22-2009 05:15 PM

ever thought about stripping just the outter of the rims?

bambam 08-22-2009 06:35 PM

I have the same bike, but my previous owner stripped/ polished the rims but let them go , so they were rough when i got them , and through lots of lookin into , paint aintthe way to go. concider powder coat not paint.

scutfargas 08-24-2009 10:17 AM

Love the bike! I would take SpiritRR's advice and buy a cheap set of used ones. Get them powdercoated, not painted. The powdercoat is much more durable than paint, which you will definitely need. I did the same thing with my bike. That way, if I ever want to sell it, I will have the untouched original wheels to go along with the bike.

Hollywood 08-24-2009 11:34 AM

Thanks for the information and feedback guys. Good tip on powder-coating, instead of paint. I think I will follow your advise and leave my rims alone and seek out a second set of rims that I can have powder-coated silver. As a matter of fact, I remember seeing a set for sale on craigslist recently.

playfulgod - I have considered stripping just the outer edge of the rim. I've seen quite a few bikes with that rim treatment and think that it looks pretty nice.

gxsretr 08-24-2009 01:32 PM

Hey thats a great looking bike, personally I'd simply add a small red stripe around the lip of the wheel, just to accent the red in the color scheme, that's if you feel the need for change. The bike actually looks great as it is but hey, there's nothing wrong with a lil change.

gxsretr 08-24-2009 01:34 PM

Hey Hollywood does that 93' still have the double round headlights or has the front been converted to a newer version, its hard to tell from the pics.

Hollywood 08-24-2009 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments on the bike. I've considered adding a small red stripe to the wheel also. Any idea how to apply the stripe? Is it pained on or does one use a roll of pin-striping?

Here is a 3/4 shot showing the front of the bike. It has the original dual round headlights. I've seen the conversion done to other bikes and I think it looks great but I'm hesitant to deviate too far from stock. I figure that in 20 years it might be kind of neat to have a mostly stock, first year 900RR. I have some work to do (windshield, front fender, brake lines) so if you know where I can get some original (used) parts, please let me know.

scutfargas 08-24-2009 05:11 PM

Love the look! Looks like different muffler canisters in each of the pictures, a stainless one and a carbon. Which one do you have?