CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

2nd gear help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear help

ever sence i put a differnt motor in my 99 when i open it up in 2nd gear it goes i nutral. the motor is out of a 97 and the guy i got it from wrecked it in 2nd gear. i realy dont want to change the shift forks if i dont have too. i thought maybe i did somthing wrong but my original engine did the same thing befor the tranny went. maybe somthing wrong with the bike or the way i put it together. please help me

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Default RE: 2nd gear help

Mine did this a few times when I first got it. I think it was me more that the bike though. I started shifting a little harder and it basically stopped doing it. Of course this was my first hondabut I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Mine is a 97 as well.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM

that isa huge problem with the 900RR's i just had to put an entire new trans,shift drum and shift forks in mine.. it could either be the forks or the dogs on 2nd gear...since he dumped it in 2nd i would go with shift fork or shift rod.. but if he wheelied it alot then the dogs are rounded out..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: slimmyslim1420

Mine did this a few times when I first got it. I think it was me more that the bike though. I started shifting a little harder and it basically stopped doing it. Of course this was my first hondabut I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Mine is a 97 as well.
put it in 2nd and get up to about 5,000 and then twist the throttle hard and it will probablypop out. i thought that mine went away too and that it was me but i just got so used to it that i started compensating and shifting early before that it could do it.. if its still doing it its only going to get worse...so you may be able to get away with just a shift fork if you catch it early and save ALOT of money..

there are people on here that were getting quotes around 2,000 and up toget the trans fixed because the block has to be split..

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

I also had a problem like that. When I bought my bike the second gear felt a little notchy. On slow riding it was fine, but I only realized the problem once I started getting used to the power and started revving up to 9000rpm. When I raced the first gear up to about 6000rpm and shifted to second, sometimes she used to jump out of second (actually felt the lever hitting my shoe on the gear slip) into neutral, or there would be a notch and not even allow me to shift into second and leave me red faced revving her in neutral like a noob.

The mechanic told me it was my shifter/selector barrel and had it replaced. I have not had a single problem since then and her gearbox is smooth as silk.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 PM

what is a shifter/selector barrel ??

the shift drum?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bindelsf2

ORIGINAL: slimmyslim1420

put it in 2nd and get up to about 5,000 and then twist the throttle hard and it will probablypop out. i thought that mine went away too and that it was me but i just got so used to it that i started compensating and shifting early before that it could do it.. if its still doing it its only going to get worse...so you may be able to get away with just a shift fork if you catch it early and save ALOT of money..

there are people on here that were getting quotes around 2,000 and up toget the trans fixed because the block has to be split..
Once I get her going again i'll be sure to try that and see how it goes. I am currently waiting on my new R/R. Should have it tomorrow and running on Saturday once i'm off again. After I try it i'll let you know how it goes. But I don't do a lot of wheelies but I am usually pretty hard on the throttle.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 PM

them dang r/r's!! hate them!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 AM

what is a shifter/selector barrel ??

the shift drum?
Yep I think so. My terminology might be a little off, but it was the thick rod with grooves over it. There was in chip in one of the joints in the region of second gear, thats why I was having trouble there. Or at least thats what the mechanic told me. Once it was replaced, I had not a sausage of trouble again so I assume that was the problem.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 AM

them dang r/r's!! hate them!
Why you say that bindelsf2?

Quick Reply: 2nd gear help