CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   1998 CBR 900 shuts down while riding (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/1998-cbr-900-shuts-down-while-riding-137782/)

Dee1nOnlyDee 05-07-2012 02:08 PM

1998 CBR 900 shuts down while riding

Here's my issue...From time to time, when I start my bike (I'm in FL), it dies after about 10 minutes of warming up. But, will start back up. Sometime when throttling, it bogs like it's suffocating for fuel.
So...once it decides she want to stay stay running, I can ride 20+ miles with now issues. make stop somewhere get back on the road, now another issue starts. Ride for about 5 miles and while I'm riding, the bike starts to lose power and shuts down. Try to start it back up, it will not start. Wait about 3-5 minutes, it starts right back up, but the same thing will happen again in about 5 miles.
The carbs have been cleaned, air filter & fuel filter has been changes, plugs were pulled and cleaned, then, place back in. Checked all vacuum hoses, they're good. Bike runs good with no issue up until the issue starts. Where should I start at...could it be the one or both of the coils, ECU...any suggestions. Really need to resolve this within the next 2 weeks in time for Bike Week in SC. everyone suggestion/help will be greatly appreciated.

estate4life 05-07-2012 04:17 PM

When you lose power, does the light dim too? If it does, it's electrical related....maybe a loose connection somewhere...check/ may need to replace the R/R, check the battery ground & power cable. Is all the connection solid.

If bike shuts off after 10 min of idleing....there is also a chance your fuel pump is giving up soon....or your stator giving up....

but it does sound like a loose connection though...

74demon 05-07-2012 04:24 PM

sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. when its not starting, does the fuel pump run? pump may be shutting off intermittently. make sure the carbs are getting fuel and the line is free and clear of kinks.

oh, and welcome to the forum.......

MadHattr059 05-07-2012 06:17 PM

Check the r/r, if it's on it's last legs, when it over-heats it fails.
Bike cools down, starts working...rinse and repeat.
Since it's not delivering current to the coils, as it heats up the ignition is falling
behind, so no spark/power. Masquerades as a fuel problem, but really it's spark.

Check for heat-sign on the r/r and it's connector, that's one of the physical symptoms.

Hope this helps, Ern

Dee1nOnlyDee 05-08-2012 03:09 PM

Hey Guys,
Really appreciate all the suggestion and I'll be getting back with you all and let you know where I stand. After reading everything, I'm placing my bet right now on the R/R. I replaced it and had to hardwire it, the connector was bad and couldn't find the replacement connector in town. So, what I did was twisted the wires. Maybe one or a couple of them might have loosen. Also, I did notice when I try to start the bike, sometime the fuel pump wasn't pumping fuel thru the inline filter. All your information is very valuable and will start investigating to see where the problem really lies. Again, thank you guys for the help, I'll keep you posted.

vfrman 05-09-2012 04:37 AM

Rick's Motorsport Electrics sells connectors... I used them on my bike. You need special crimpers tho...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr...talled-137678/

Dee1nOnlyDee 05-13-2012 10:02 PM

OK guys, here's the latest results I've come up with. After replacing the oil, plug, fuel filter, checking the R/R, cleaned the carbs again, checked all the wiring for any frays or bad grounds...I'm still shutting down while cruising. What I did happen to notice was that the fuel pump on the back of the fuel tap, it's not pumping any fuel into the see thru inline fuel filter. So, after making 4-5 stops within 4 miles of my house, when I go to crank, I'm noticing no fuel getting to the carbs. But, after sitting there for about 3-5 minutes, it cranks and I can ride about a mile and it's the same thing all over again. I'm going to see about taking the pump off and try to repair it.
If any of you guys have any suggestion, please post them, I'm open to trying anything to get this working. All your help is much appreciated.

vfrman 05-14-2012 03:41 AM

Why does your 98 900rr have a fuel pump? Mine is gravity fed to the carbs.

gaman 05-16-2012 07:08 PM

i did experienced shutting down while cruising.....my problem here is that my voltage regulator rec does not suplly current to the battery......try checking your voltage reg wire harness............could be it has sign of burn.....

rustedroot 05-23-2012 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by vfrman (Post 1159613)
Why does your 98 900rr have a fuel pump? Mine is gravity fed to the carbs.

Not gravity fed. The '98 is vacuum fed. Doesn't have a fuel pump or inline filter!

If it is a '98, sounds like the fuel strainer screen inside the fuel valve might be clogged, restricting flow. Clean or replace it. Or could be the Fuel Valve Diaphragm which might be damaged, test it with vacuum pump or replace it. May also be the vacuum line is kinked or clogged up.