WTF? Headlights & RPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question WTF? Headlights & RPM

Bike-09 600
Mileage-16020
Next oil change in-400 miles

So The other day i washed my bike and did the chain maintance. The next day i take it out to run some errands and my RPMs are a little high. It normally is around 15-1600 but now its about 2k. When im riding if i let off the throttle the RPMs want to hang where they are for a few seconds before starting to come down. Ive had this happen once before on a 120* day in highway traffic so i figured it was the heat. After that nothing until now. What do you think could be causing this? Im going to adjust the Throttle cable tommorrow but if that doesnt fix it i wanna have a few other places to look.

Running Headlight- So i replace my airfilter today with a BMC which requires alot of work since the 09 has to be stripped down to get to it. I put the bike back together and go get my gear on. As the bike is warming up i do a walk around to make sure i didnt miss any bolts and everything is plugged in. I thought i saw it out but since my helmet was on and the sun was in my face i figuered i just didnt see the light. I get behind a black car and sure enough it isnt on at all. I get home take the bike apart and check for any connection issues. Nothing. I check the fuses and everything is fine. I check the bulb and it looks fine but how can you tell if a HID bulb is burnt out? Ive had DDM HIDs for just over a year so im hoping the bulb didnt already go out. The bright works fine. Does anyone have any idea? I think im just gonna buy a new bulb and if thats not it maybe its the ballast? How can i check?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loose wire? I thought my bulb was bad but come to find out it was the loose connection at stock harness. so check and see

On RPM.. maybe you touched the idle control while you were washing it?

Last edited by yumoncbr; 10-05-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
Loose wire? I thought my bulb was bad but come to find out it was the loose connection at stock harness. so check and see

On RPM.. maybe you touched the idle control while you were washing it?

I already checked and double checked the connections. Im going to take the bulb from my bright and see if itll work on my running. If it does i know its the bulb. If it doesnt it may be the ballast so ill switch that over. If that still doesnt work ill know its a more serious issue.

On the RPM note. We have a idle control?

I found this thread one another forum and there are others with the same issue. Surging under closed throttle - Page 2 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you pull the headlamp you can run a continuity check on the bulb. See if the
lowbeam has continuity. i.e. not burned out.

Conversly, you can check the plug to the headlight for hot. Is it getting current?
That will tell you if it's harness-related.

If you need a more detailed explanation of how to do that, just pm me.

I'd be glad to help out, Ern