Wreckage....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones on eBay from Hong Kong or China are cheap, thin plastic CRAP that don't line up for sht. Looks like the only things you NEED are the foot peg bracket and a fork tube. Not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing on the "steering shaft". The rim doesn't look too bad, a little scuffed, might be out of round a little. As for the fairings go a little fibergless work and alot of sanding will fix most of them, the grey (or silver) pieces look pretty good (considering), some FLEXABLE bumper patch and a repaint and they'll be good as new. Looks like the worst of them is the right side fairing, look for one in the classifieds (on here) and check eBay. (for the other stuff too). If you were local I'd say come by with 20 bucks (for supplies) and a case of beer (labor charges), and we'll fix it right up. But there ain't a whole lota riding goin on here in the D, with all the snow and ice on the ground.lol

Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
The ones on eBay from Hong Kong or China are cheap, thin plastic CRAP that don't line up for sht. Looks like the only things you NEED are the foot peg bracket and a fork tube. Not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing on the "steering shaft". The rim doesn't look too bad, a little scuffed, might be out of round a little. As for the fairings go a little fibergless work and alot of sanding will fix most of them, the grey (or silver) pieces look pretty good (considering), some FLEXABLE bumper patch and a repaint and they'll be good as new. Looks like the worst of them is the right side fairing, look for one in the classifieds (on here) and check eBay. (for the other stuff too). If you were local I'd say come by with 20 bucks (for supplies) and a case of beer (labor charges), and we'll fix it right up. But there ain't a whole lota riding goin on here in the D, with all the snow and ice on the ground.lol
Thanks for the post....and please....excuse some of my "terminology"......I’m fairly new. I was wanted to show some picts of the front frame to indicate that there were no cracks in the weld or frame damage from the impact. Can I buy just the fork tube? I've priced some but was un-sure of what I needed and was looking to get the whole assembly off eBay. What else may be damaged? I do think that the rim may be ok....just scrached...

Also I think the fairing kit may have been aftermarket anyways.....When I bought the bike the fairings were not fully installed and one of the headlight mounting posts was already broken.....From what I can tell all of the mounting posts were plastic welded and not molded....also all of the decals have a clear coat over them.....

from what I’ve read a lot of people like the auctmarts fairing kits and they have one similar to the one I already had....in fact....I'm convinced they are the same.....the other fairings never fit very well.....if they are the same as I already had I'm ok with that....

I just need to do some research on the front fork now...

Last edited by The Guardian; 02-17-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey man, I just took off a very MINTY front fork set off my 04 600RR when I swapped the inverted forks on her (off the bike in my sig)... what did you need? I got both triples and steering neck, with bearings... PM me and we can discuss, but I think I have what you need, the whole assembly!

BTW - That upper will very spendy to replace. I'd take it off and bring it to a body shop and piece the rest together off ebay...come spring, there's tons of parts on there!!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM

glad your ok chief. if you can find a guy that does decent plastic work, most of your fairings seem salvagable. the frame should be close to fine.just run your fingers on the inside of the welds, also check the subframe for bends or twists. did you ride it home or tow? how are you physically?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Default Aftermarket Fairings

Assuming you are talking about the fairing kits from Hong Kong, you really can't beat the price. I have several friends that have purchased them in differing color schemes and they are well worth the price - between $550 and $700 to the door. They includes all parts including the front fender.. The fit is not what I would call great, but considering the price... On one set there was a small gap between the inlays and the gas tank. Another set the lowers would not stay together properly at the front below the headers - minor problem to fix. The quality of the paint was excellent. The decals looked great and the clear coat was flawless. Considering the cost to replace the damaged parts, I would opt for this solution anytime. From Honda the tank cover alone is around 5 bills.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM

You might want to check out this suppler. A touch more expensive but they go on an on about how well they fit...

http://s546.photobucket.com/albums/h...r600rr%200708/

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by undercoverbrother
glad your ok chief. if you can find a guy that does decent plastic work, most of your fairings seem salvagable. the frame should be close to fine.just run your fingers on the inside of the welds, also check the subframe for bends or twists. did you ride it home or tow? how are you physically?

Rode it home....wasn't easy with a broken foot peg....
it was only about 7 mi or so...I could tell the forks were messed up because I had to steer to the right quite a bit to drive straight......

I guess I did get a dis-located shoulder out of it....I knew I couldn't move it much the first day....but by the second day it hurt bad....went to the chiropractor...dislocated shoulder, torn tendon...It's all good though :-) !!!

Last edited by The Guardian; 02-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bear600rr
Assuming you are talking about the fairing kits from Hong Kong, you really can't beat the price. I have several friends that have purchased them in differing color schemes and they are well worth the price - between $550 and $700 to the door. They includes all parts including the front fender.. The fit is not what I would call great, but considering the price... On one set there was a small gap between the inlays and the gas tank. Another set the lowers would not stay together properly at the front below the headers - minor problem to fix. The quality of the paint was excellent. The decals looked great and the clear coat was flawless. Considering the cost to replace the damaged parts, I would opt for this solution anytime. From Honda the tank cover alone is around 5 bills.
I'm certain that's what I had before.....sounds the same as what I've dealt with on the last body....the lowers did not fit together properly (it took a lot to get them fitting right), and I never quite got the inlays to match up right with the gas tank...

Thanks for the posts...I think if it is the same as what I’ve had I’ll be happy with it....$240 something seems pricy for shipping though.....probably helps with the low product price.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM

You interested in those forks I got? If not, I'm going to list them. I think I sent you my email in PM... contact me there if you are.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 AM

like some1 said b4 keep checking ebay!!! alot of ppl r scared of it but i love that place a buddy of mine wrecked his 06 cbr600rr and bought a whole faring replacement kit fr 600 dollars it went from silver to blue and everything fits pretty tight but as far as the rest i would say if u can take ur time buy it all off ebay ull save money but thats just my .02 good luck and hope u recover fast