Winding it out, how much stress on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winding it out, how much stress on the bike?

Hey guys, I just got back from a friends privately owned lot, and we were winding it out today with some pretty cold winds (roughly 45 degrees, and with the wind chill made it feel like 35.). Well I don't really like to do power wheelies, but sometimes they happen when I just wind it out in first, then through second, etc.

We set up some cones to practice some turns, and wound it on a straight (has about a quarter mile of distance.) Not much, but I was wondering two things, A.) winding her out (08' CBR600RR) in first and second cause alot of ware on the bike? I just changed the oil, filter ,lubed/cleaned and the chain is properly adjusted. I'm afraid that winding the bike hard in first and second puts alot of stress on her. She's only got around 3k miles, but I don't want to do any serious performance damage to her.

Secondly, as I said before I don't like to do power wheelies, but I've been told that the FIRST indicator of any stress on the front end is usually fork seals busting out. To my understanding, this is the first step that power wheelies have as far as an effect on the bike, is this correct?

Thanks in advance guys, trying to shake off getting-used-to-the-bike worry syndrome over here

**EDIT: I will add that I always whipe the bike down, and do a walk around after every ride. I didn't notice any liquids or dark rings on the front forks, so from what I can tell I need not any reason to worry, but I feel more secure hearing from a community that knows their stuff.

Last edited by ahbrown4057; 05-01-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 PM

You can open your bike up every now and then, its no issue at all. Sure, it won't last 300,000 miles but lets be honest its a cbr, not a civic. The fork seals will be okay for a while, but the more wheelies you do the sooner you should expect to replace seals.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Altho I don't know much about MC's, I know if you can try not to slam the front end down when coming down from a wheelie will help tremendously on the fork seals

Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You'll never lose a fork seal from wheelies if you set the front down gently. If you wheelie till you hit the rev limiter and slam back down you'll blow them quickly. As for the engine, yes high revs are hard on it. The more time you spend at elevated revs the quicker your engine dies, plain and simple. My buddy's R6 lasted 9,000 all track miles before blowing and we were all amazed.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Yeah, 9k is a lot for a bike that just sees track

Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Don't slam the front down alot from the wheelies (learn how to roll off the throttle instead of snapping it shut) and that'll ease up the stress a lil on the fork seals .... they're decently tough as far as pressure goes ... but dirt and grit on your fork stanchions (the part that slides in and out of the fork) will eat away at them over time and give them a better chance at failure on you :\ ...

and bike engines are designed with a redline that keeps them a pretty decent distance from actual damage when you're hitting the rev limiter ... in case you downshift on accident when you're way high up in the rev range and yank the motor up way past the set redline it'll have some cushion ... they're designed to work reliably all the way up to the redline .... higher revs will make your engine wear faster but it wont hurt it to occasionally bounce off the limiter just dont hold it there forever ... or you'll pretty soon get an up close and personal view with some part or another of your bikes guts when it blows the motor ..

Last edited by 9-5=4rr; 05-01-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Thank you all, I appreciate your inputs and advise!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM

i have 15000 on my bike most of those miles are track and if not there from rpms over 9k and mines running strong.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 PM

I thought there was a guy on here with an F4i that had like 180k miles on his bike .... you can't tell me you expect a bike to wear out in like 10k miles .... track or not ....... it's a freakin honda man ... Ride that sucker!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM

There's a guy with 210,000 miles on his bike (I'm pretty sure its an f4i), he also has 400,000 on his 89 accord. Track miles are a lot harder than street miles obviously. You can't expect things to last forever when they are making 283 revolutions per SECOND. That being said, no one rides the street like people ride the track.

Quick Reply: Winding it out, how much stress on the bike?