Where to bolt my plate? got pics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to bolt my plate? got pics?

I already have a nice bracket for my plate and I want to mount it around the battery in front of the rear wheel. But im not sure how much clearance I should leave between the plate and the little hugger fender. Also which way should the plate angle? slanting back or forward. If you have any pics let me see them. Thanks alot, it's an '06

Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to bolt my plate? got pics?

I mounted mine kind of traditional........though, I still think it looks best there...........

Name:  fender10.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  96.8 KB

Old 06-07-2007, 02:30 AM

Competition Werks FE kit is the best for the 05-06 600RRs. It mounts to the underside of the battery box and has LED plate light. Best of all it is spring loaded so it sits as vertical as possible to keep the LEO off your back and when your shock compresses a nylon roller touches your hugger fender and the plate pivots up and out of the way. It ain't cheap, but it installs easily, comes with rear filament bulb turn indicators (no resistor or blink rate problems when using filament bulb vs. LEDs) that mount very clean and tucked up under the rear tail plastics and these also meet legal requirements in more areas since some states require the turn indicators to be min. 9" apart which makes integrated tail lights not meet legal standards everywhere.

Took about 2 hours to install and that was even my first time removing the tail plastic and like most everyone I was afraid of breaking them the first time trying to get them back on. If you slide to the rear they come off pretty easy, but getting it back on is a different story, just don't be afraid of breaking them, they flex a lot farther than you would think.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is my Competition Werkes bracket.....

Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 AM

Mine looks almost the same as the pic from Meanstrk, except that I diverted from the included instructions and put both mounting bolts up through the bracket and the nut is in the battery box so I don't have the long bolt hanging down like in the pic below, rather all you see is a nice clean allen wrench pan head bolt.

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

Here is my Competition Werkes bracket.....

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM

here's my home made plate....just one screw in the battery box and it was freeand there is just enough room for a nut on the other side fits like a glove

[IMG]local://upfiles/13888/A9219B05B47647628EB4E254D8F2A56C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine looks almost the same as the pic from Meanstrk, except that I diverted from the included instructions and put both mounting bolts up through the bracket and the nut is in the battery box so I don't have the long bolt hanging down like in the pic below, rather all you see is a nice clean allen wrench pan head bolt.
I would like to see how you did it. Do the bolts hit the battery? Mine was like this when I bought it, so I never messed with it.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Bolts don't hit the battery. There are two mounting bolts (one in front of the plate and one behind the plate. The instructions show one with the bolt head towards the hugger and the other with the head in the battery box area) however I thought it would look a lot cleaner if both pan head allen bolts were all that you saw from the underside of the bike and both nuts and washers were hidden in the battery box area. to do so, I used a dremmel tool to remove enought material from two ridges in the inside-bottom of the battery box so I could place a washer that would lie flat against the bottom of the battery box for the one bolt which the instructions indicate should have the bolt head in the battery box. I can't recall if this was the front or back mounting bolt. I will take a pic this of the inside of the battery box and underside of the tail/FE bracket tonight or this weekend.

My kit had a much smaller bolt than what is shown in your pic. I think I still have the mounting instructions as well if you want me to e-mail those to you also. By the way I have also found the most killer front flush mount turn signals that are LEDs with built in resistor and are 3-wire so they are active running lights as well along with two three different wiring configurations for variability in turn signal flash rate/mode. They are called Proton byHigh Tech Speed. Spendy but worth it.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM

That sillegal in most states though. Make sure you check first if you dont want to get stopped every week or get tickets.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Blue Fox, I don't see the turn signals...Are the little red things that look like reflectors the signals? Can you post a picture taken from the back of the bike. That looks really clean.

How about bending the plate and attaching on the side of the wheel? Pros/Cons

Quick Reply: Where to bolt my plate? got pics?