CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   WHAT KIND OF AIR FILTER DO YOU USE? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/what-kind-air-filter-do-you-use-12962/)

baxsom 01-03-2008 02:52 PM

RE: WHAT KIND OF AIR FILTER DO YOU USE?

i use the bmc race fitler because it weighs almost a half a pound less than oem.
weight reduction is more important than a few horses

every ounce lost makes the bike handle even better

baxsom 01-03-2008 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: FONZ

Don't ya'll understand that the more air you can get into the engine the more power you will recieve?
Then I wonder why everyone I know that races uses the OEM filter? Is this some secret of power gain that hasn't gotten out yet? I mean, these are some pretty smart and fast guys...a few of them are champions of their class...why don't they use this secret...how did they miss this?

I agree with the PCIII comment, but you'd get better gains from a full system, which I think is what you meant by a "new exhaust system altogether."

I'd stake my bank on it that someone who spent time getting the "max" out of their riding potential versus someone getting the "max" out of their bike's potential would be the faster rider on the track...even on a stock bike or a 250...
first of all you must not know a lot of racers because everyone i know use bmc race filters.
see how arbitray a statement like that is.
not to mention that if you ask this question on 1000rr.net the overwhelming answer will be bmc race and then someone will point you to various back to back dyno charts showing a 2-3 hp gain with the bmc race filter over stock.

but you are right though
i rider who spends 2 grand and goes to freddie spencer on a stock bike will outride another rider who has spent the same on mods with no real training.

it doesnt hurt to mod the bike but do mods that help, safety, handling, braking, weight reduction. all will be noticed more than a few more horses.

richhowerton 01-04-2008 08:42 PM

I picked up a K&N because I run the K&N in my cars and my goldwing so why not.

baxsom 01-04-2008 08:51 PM

well like i said the only thing that matters is performance. dyno runs on the rc51 with a K&N lost power. www.rogueracing.org

dyno runs on the 1000rr gained power with the bmc race
www.hooliganbiketech.net

since these are the only dyno charts i can find with air filter dyno readings

the numbers dont lie

Hatebreed 01-05-2008 02:43 AM

bmc

wellarmedCr@cker 01-05-2008 07:41 AM

I'm happy with my BMC race filter.

Blue Fox 01-05-2008 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

well like i said the only thing that matters is performance. dyno runs on the rc51 with a K&N lost power. www.rogueracing.org

dyno runs on the 1000rr gained power with the bmc race
www.hooliganbiketech.net

since these are the only dyno charts i can find with air filter dyno readings

the numbers dont lie

Don't mean to argue, but no two dyno's are the same, therefore unless a K&N & BMC are both tested on the same bike on the same dyno, the numbers mean nothing.

valentino_ptossi 01-05-2008 02:11 PM

i had a K&N before but now i have a DNA air filter....i feel the same but after dyno i saw a half (0,5) hp less than the oem filter....(cbr 600 rr '04)....

cozye 01-05-2008 03:27 PM

What, no mention of Pipercross? Pipercross air filters are huge in Europe. They are also the only filter that I know of that gives you decent HP gains and filters air better than an OEM filter. WSBK teams use them a lot. There is a lot of talk about them over on 600rr.net. They are reusable, but they are multi layer foam instead of cotton, so it holds up better and lets less dirt through than a typical cotton type filter. Typical HP gains are about 2HP on the dyno's that I've seen. I can provide links for anyone interested in the dyno's

AlmosN8kd 01-05-2008 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

What's better than what Honda engineers designed...stock is all you need.

I disagree with that statement. Not because I'm endorsing some other sort of air filter or because I want to see HP gains; I'm still running a stock filter but that is because I haven't had a need to replace it yet. However, the reason I disagree is because engineers design what they think is best but they are governed by corporate individuals who will look at bottom dollar only and will use cheaper materials to produce a better overall profit. Now, I'm not saying anything against the stock filter or stock setup but I don't necessarily think that what the engineers designed and what is actually on the bike are the same thing or the greatest thing. Now, in this particular instance, I would think that a company which designs nothing but air filters would actually produce a better filter than stock. Anyhow, that is just my thoughts on the subject.