WHAT THE F**k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT THE F**k!!!

what is the clunk you hear when putting it in 1st from neutral??? i never go into neutral, ever, because i hate how that feels. i ask the honda dealers and they said nothings wrong, but it sure does not feel right. back in 97 when i had my F3 it did the same thing, is there anything i can do to change this. i know when i let it roll forward slowly while putting it into gear i dont hear it.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Default RE: WHAT THE F**k!!!

The sound you are hearing is normal I would not worry about it my bike does the same thing too going into first gear.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM

its a honda thing

Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM

What that sound is, is this...

Between first and second gear, the distance between the two gears is enough that the shift forks are moving in between those gears. Because neutral is between first and second (not to be a smartass, I know you know this) that distance, is wider. You don't feel this in the upper gears. The shift forks rotate/pivot on that shaft. What is also important is how you shift and how your riding. Around town, agressive, stunting, all can have a factor on how positive or negative your shifts and the shift points are.

Try different kinds of oil in your bike. From personal experiences, I ended up running Amsoil in my CBR1KF, Belray sythetic in my 929, and now I'm running golden spectro in the 954. I may seem to obsessive compulsive, but honestly different oils and weights can have an affect on it over and above your shifting methods.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Agreed...it's completely normal. I know it sounds nasty at times and can be loud, but it's perfectly normal. Don't wear your clutch unnecessarily by starting in 2nd.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

I can relate. I also had this happen, (anyone else???)... While at a stop light I could not get it into 1st from Neutral. It would only go into 2nd. Then after messing-around for awhile. I was able to get it to go into 1st if I went up and down through the shift pattern a couple of times. Weird. But this has only happened a couple of times. Usually when I've come to a fast stop. And had to find Neutral from like 4th gear or something. Normal riding=No problem
ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

Agreed...it's completely normal. I know it sounds nasty at times and can be loud, but it's perfectly normal. Don't wear your clutch unnecessarily by starting in 2nd.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skical

I can relate. I also had this happen, (anyone else???)... While at a stop light I could not get it into 1st from Neutral. It would only go into 2nd.
When mine did that I adjusted the clutch by a very small amount and it corrected the problem .. give it a shot by turning the clutch adjustment dial on the lever by small amounts to see if it helps.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM

no, i didnt know that. thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM

also if you slightly let out on the clutch it will go into gear

Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Any time you have trouble not getting in gear at a stop, rock the bike...no need to make any adjustments. It's from the male-female (called dogs/grooves) parts of the gears not locking together right but if you rock the bike forward you should be able to make them engage.

I saw a post on this somewhere...let me see if I can find it...

I don't remember where...sry [:@]