what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this?

ok so i got this bike all torn apart.. boxes of parts. what is this? also.. i noticed putting my front cowl on that the right side doesnt push in all the way into its mounting tab.. and the mirror mounts or what i think they are are not ligning up on that side.. left side is fine, but i noticed when i put the right mid on it made the front cowl alignement worse, nothings tweaker to my knowledge.. any ideas? is that all that holds the front cowl on is the 2 mounting tabs on the headlights? got it painted.. well i did it. tell me what ya think!

Name:  IMG00433.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  IMG00434.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.4 KB

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Default RE: what is this?

dude how did you bend your kobalt ratchet?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM

lol it came like that.. its not bent. lol thats all you found interesting in the picture? cmon guys i dont knwo how any of this goes back on.. i got the bike torn apart.. help!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

It looks like (on my 03) the tab that goes from where you mirror connects (2 holes at the bottom) up to the one of the wind screen bolts (single top hole) it reinforces your front cowl/wind screen, and i think it helps hold it up to keep from smashing your resovior, any ways, it goes under the fairing and connects with the mirror mounting bracket. if you are not running mirrors just use bolts (6x1 metric i think) with washers as block offs till you get some, those holes help hold the plastics on.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Thats a left cowl stay, you should have two of them (left and right). They connect to the main cowl stay which is connected to the very front of the frame.

Edit: The right one looks a little different, but look at the left/right upper cowl attachments and you should see whats missing.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 AM

yeah but that over the doo hickey that holds on your front fairing and headlights where the mirror screws in.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 AM

well judging off the pictures i found on honda parts direct, they mount over the front fairing stay mirror bracket holes.. but what does the other end of them mount to? anyone selling some mirrors? also.. if my headlights are to far pushed into my front cowl would that cause it to not mount correctly? the headlights are sticked out about 1/2 inch or better front the cutouts for the lights.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 05cbr559

well judging off the pictures i found on honda parts direct, they mount over the front fairing stay mirror bracket holes.. but what does the other end of them mount to? anyone selling some mirrors?

that's exactly what we were telling you...

put it on there and it will make sense, the top hole will (should) line up with a hole for the windscreen. it curves in towards the bike.

ORIGINAL: 05cbr559

also.. if my headlights are to far pushed into my front cowl would that cause it to not mount correctly? the headlights are sticked out about 1/2 inch or better front the cutouts for the lights.
no your head lights should not stick out that far, they should fit pretty much flush with the fairing, you have alignment issues somewhere.

let me take a guess... ebay fairings?

*edit, your headlights look fine in your picture though.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 PM

im not sure, i got it off craigslist, it was a telefonica replica front cowl, its a pos but it works for now. is there anything i can do to get it align right?, also my right side mid might be mounting wrong. the mountin tab in the back for the big screw was alil tweaked. i tweaked it back but im not too sure its in the right spot.. anybody have a pic of one?, my mid is coving the tool box deal on that side. is that normal?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 PM

heres a pic hope it helps.....

Name:  100_2796.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  62.5 KB