VERY QUICK Q!!!Installing need help......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY QUICK Q!!!Installing need help......

I am putting on my slip on and the stock gasket is bigger than the mid pipe given to me. Do i try and force it in.....Do i even need it if it's clamped down tight?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Default RE: VERY QUICK Q!!!Installing need help......

my two brothers installation said it was not needed, just had to put a bead of high time silicone sealant on the header and the canister and clamp them down

Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 PM

I just installed them and there was a slight leak at the mid/header connection so i rotated the clamp and tightened it more...It worked

Now there is one one of the mid/can connections a slight leak so i rotated it and reclamped tighter but made it slighter but didn't eliminate it. It's like the slightest air at even 6 grand. Will it hurt anything to leave it, i called a shop and they said put some high temp **** on it but it is a BITCH to get the mid pipe together and man handle it into mounting pisition(cans)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:56 AM

aight check it out. If you are installing a two bro's slip on then you already have little to no backpressure any way. That's part of what burns valves up in cars is the lack of backpressure. But to answer your question no it won't hurt your bike in general but it might take away from the sound of the pipe and give you a hardly noticable but annoying sound like an air leak. Me personally I would by some high temp rtv, the black colored stuff is best, and apply it liberally all the way around the connection. To keep the job looking professional you should tape off both sides of the connection point about a quarter inch away from where you will be applying the rtv, and remove it after the sealant is applied but still wet.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:40 AM

I am actually a dumbass and didn't read the directions thuroughly, It clearly says to tighten all clamps at 12o'clock or 6o'clock to prevent seal leaks. Then i noticed the one that wasn't leaking was actually at twelve(coincidently) And the leaker was at 4 30ish, so i reclamped it and wasn't getting anymore liquid out of it or air for that matter. The shop guy said run it around for the day then bring it back shut er down and check tomorrow to let the pipe expand and contract or something. So i will double check in the morning.