Using a cellphone with my helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using a cellphone with my helmet

PJKEM2, a co-worker of mine had a blue tooth install so he can use is cell phone while riding. It was installed at a local dealership here in Seattle for 200 some dollars. Guess where is now?
While ridin and talking(not paying attention) he fell of his bike becuase of a car got in front of him, he got ran over by two cars and died. He was a good friend of mine. He was found at fault of the accident not the driver. The officer said it could have been avoid if was not no the phone. Dude, just pull over and then pick up the phone. There's no need for your family to lay you to rest because of a stupid phone call. IT IS JUST F##$IN STUPID. What's more important riding another day or that phone call?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM

That sucks about your friend, I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you guys have suggestions about a sytem to talk with my buddy as we're riding? I've seen the intercom system for talking to my wife when she is on the same bike (though I really enjoy the silence at the moment, I like that she can't talk to me much when we ride!), but I'd like to be able to communicate better with my bud. Not to sit and chat, but the hand signals are not the greatest either.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Chatterbox again, they make a short wave transmitter that you can install in your helmet to talk to your passenger or fellow riders. Remember that you are cutting impact material out to put the intercom in... Not worth it if you ask me.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tommyranch

That sucks about your friend, I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you guys have suggestions about a sytem to talk with my buddy as we're riding? I've seen the intercom system for talking to my wife when she is on the same bike (though I really enjoy the silence at the moment, I like that she can't talk to me much when we ride!), but I'd like to be able to communicate better with my bud. Not to sit and chat, but the hand signals are not the greatest either.
Hand signals.

It's not holding the cell phone that is distracting, it's the conversation you are having on it. With that being said, a conversation over a Chatterbox with a buddy is primarily the same thing. There is nothing that you absolutely need to say when you are riding that hand signals cannot take the place of. Make up some hand signals, go over it with your riding buddies so they understand and you'll be in much better shape than rigging something up or spending a few hundred bucks on Chatterbox systems.

And like I said before, there is NOTHING that needs to be said from one rider to another that you cannot say with hand signals.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 AM

This is a good thread with a GREAT message. No phones on bikes. /Discussion.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 AM

Uh i disagree...what's the hand signal for "Hey we should go by that road up near the dam" or some others? Lol I don't know sign language and that could be just as dangerous, since it involves taking your hand off the handlebars.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: camaro_forums

Uh i disagree...what's the hand signal for "Hey we should go by that road up near the dam" or some others? Lol I don't know sign language and that could be just as dangerous, since it involves taking your hand off the handlebars.

That's what shouting at intersections is for... and advanced planning of routes.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh i disagree...what's the hand signal for "Hey we should go by that road up near the dam" or some others?
These kind of things "NEED" to be said while riding? Why can't they wait for a stop sign or traffic light? And if there is none of those, who says one couldn't just pull over and say "Hey, we should so by that road up near the dam", and this gives the other riders a chance to voice their opinions as well.

I've said it once, and here it is again. There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING that NEEDS to be said while riding that you cannot say with hand signals.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 AM

Well who wants to wait till you get to a redlight to plan routes? And I like spur of the moment planning, go wherever you feel and don't plan routes. I don't see how talking a couple sentences could make your mind wander enough to mess up your driving...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:26 AM

Well who wants to wait till you get to a redlight to plan routes? And I like spur of the moment planning, go wherever you feel and don't plan routes. I don't see how talking a couple sentences could make your mind wander enough to mess up your driving...

Those couple sentances take thoughts to form. Then, you have the responses and you have to listen, think, and respond to those....

It's all a distraction, but one that can be limited with simple signals ... and keeping converstations reserved for stopped times.

Quick Reply: Using a cellphone with my helmet