Two different bike shops, 6 months later, still nothing. Somebody has to know someth.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two different bike shops, 6 months later, still nothing. Somebody has to know someth.

I heard a high pitch ringing noise at a stop. Parked the bike, heard it as I walked away, was gone when I came back heard it shortly after I started riding again. Bike died, lost all power, everything, couldn't jump, push start or anything.
Took it to one shop, they changed a relay, fixed a couple burnt wires, checked a bunch of stuff, narrowed it down to the CDI box. Put a good one on, fired right up, ran fine. Paid 750 bucks and left happy, soon as I went to put it in 2nd, same thing, died, lost everything, no high pitch ringing, but it was only running for maybe 20 mins, high pitch ringing seemed to come after its been running for a little bit. Turned it around and pushed it back to them. A month later, I picked it up, got my money back for labor, took it somewhere else. They've had it for a few weeks. Talked to them today, said I need to talk to the mechanic Monday and tell him everything they did, that they have spent a lot of time and checked a lot out and nothing is changing, same thing.
From the beginning, it keeps blowing the 20amp fuse, battery fuse is fine.
So pretty much, between two shops, 6 months, they say they have checked, is say everything, but still not working, so frustrating. It's got 23k miles and very well taken care of, that's the most frustrating.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Tough one to diagnose based only on that information.

where are you located? Maybe someone local can physically help.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pj Flynn
I heard a high pitch ringing noise at a stop. Parked the bike, heard it as I walked away, was gone when I came back heard it shortly after I started riding again. Bike died, lost all power, everything, couldn't jump, push start or anything.
Took it to one shop, they changed a relay, fixed a couple burnt wires, checked a bunch of stuff, narrowed it down to the CDI box. Put a good one on, fired right up, ran fine. Paid 750 bucks and left happy, soon as I went to put it in 2nd, same thing, died, lost everything, no high pitch ringing, but it was only running for maybe 20 mins, high pitch ringing seemed to come after its been running for a little bit. Turned it around and pushed it back to them. A month later, I picked it up, got my money back for labor, took it somewhere else. They've had it for a few weeks. Talked to them today, said I need to talk to the mechanic Monday and tell him everything they did, that they have spent a lot of time and checked a lot out and nothing is changing, same thing.
From the beginning, it keeps blowing the 20amp fuse, battery fuse is fine.
So pretty much, between two shops, 6 months, they say they have checked, is say everything, but still not working, so frustrating. It's got 23k miles and very well taken care of, that's the most frustrating.
Have you checked out the fuel pump for good working order, is that where the noise is coming from, 20amp fuse is PGM-Fi

Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 AM

I live in Culpeper va.
Right now my bike is in orange county at a shop. It's been in this shop and another since February some time. The first shop said they checked everything, fuel pump, kill switch, relays, stator, voltage regulator, grounds, pretty much the whole wiring harness, so it sounds like everything has been checked but nothing changes, keeps blowing 20amp fuse or won't even crank or juice or anything.
Last year, I put a new oem battery and rectifier on. Was fine all season, did maintenance in December, started riding again in January, died a month or so later in February and now in this situation.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi , I would get your bike back and try to work on it yourself, there are a lot of guy's on here that are willing to help, but you need to get it back first as @74demon says ,is there anyone close to you that can help

Old 08-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Man, I posted on fb, asked a few bike buddies I rode with, I've tried. I've been doing mechanic work, diagnosing and fixing, friends, families and my cars for 15 years. That's why I took this to someone else, I've checked what I could think of. I've done a lit of searching and checked anything I could find.
So, maybe this might help...
Winter of 2015, I did a lot of work, pulled wheels off, new tires, new brake pads, oil change, I put 12k hi and low beam HIDs in, led strip rear turn signals, just two wires, soldered them in the rear, everything was clean, flush mount signals up front (ordered eBay, realized the connections were wrong, looked up diagrams and how to solder correctly to keep running always and to not have the signal on dash always lit up, correct diode to solder in and all) worked fine until July of 2016, was going around a sharp turn, found a nice patch of spilled 21-a, either screw up, trying to stay in my lane and possibly eat the pavement and get scratched up or straighten out, lock the brakes and head to the grass. Quick judgment, no cars, I chose the grass, slowed to under 5 mph, had to let the bike go, picked it up, started up, ran fine, drove home fine, busted my signal. Found the flush mounts that come plug and play for the cbr, put them on, everything was fine. Road all last year fine. Battery started dying, after two years in September of last year. Put oem battery and rectifier on and all was fine. My cousin and I road our bikes to a family reunion in October, when we went to leave, bike was completely dead, no one around, so he gave me a push, started up and we journeyed home. Halfway there, low beam went out, only had hi beam, his wife was in front, so I felt I was blinding her and me in the middle, I just road home with no headlights. Went to buy new bulbs and didn't know about the h4 h3-h7 conversion adaptor. So I couldn't put new bulbs in cause I didn't have that since my HIDs. Didn't ride at night much so just waited and planned on getting them later. Then all this stuff happened in February. I took the ballasts and front signals out, rear led strips are still in.
So no headlights are plugged in at all right now, wasn't a priority, since I can't ride at all, let alone at night.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 PM

What's the charging voltage?

Did you ever replace the stator?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 PM

I didn't, but both shops said they checked the stator, regulator, everything the 20amp fuse ran and all and everything checks out. Bike is in pieces and can see the whole harness, they said they checked every inch of wire, fixed a few burnt wires and everything checks out...

Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Well obviously something doesn't check out....

Old 08-20-2017, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pj Flynn
Man, I posted on fb, asked a few bike buddies I rode with, I've tried. I've been doing mechanic work, diagnosing and fixing, friends, families and my cars for 15 years. That's why I took this to someone else, I've checked what I could think of. I've done a lit of searching and checked anything I could find.
So, maybe this might help...
Winter of 2015, I did a lot of work, pulled wheels off, new tires, new brake pads, oil change, I put 12k hi and low beam HIDs in, led strip rear turn signals, just two wires, soldered them in the rear, everything was clean, flush mount signals up front (ordered eBay, realized the connections were wrong, looked up diagrams and how to solder correctly to keep running always and to not have the signal on dash always lit up, correct diode to solder in and all) worked fine until July of 2016, was going around a sharp turn, found a nice patch of spilled 21-a, either screw up, trying to stay in my lane and possibly eat the pavement and get scratched up or straighten out, lock the brakes and head to the grass. Quick judgment, no cars, I chose the grass, slowed to under 5 mph, had to let the bike go, picked it up, started up, ran fine, drove home fine, busted my signal. Found the flush mounts that come plug and play for the cbr, put them on, everything was fine. Road all last year fine. Battery started dying, after two years in September of last year. Put oem battery and rectifier on and all was fine. My cousin and I road our bikes to a family reunion in October, when we went to leave, bike was completely dead, no one around, so he gave me a push, started up and we journeyed home. Halfway there, low beam went out, only had hi beam, his wife was in front, so I felt I was blinding her and me in the middle, I just road home with no headlights. Went to buy new bulbs and didn't know about the h4 h3-h7 conversion adaptor. So I couldn't put new bulbs in cause I didn't have that since my HIDs. Didn't ride at night much so just waited and planned on getting them later. Then all this stuff happened in February. I took the ballasts and front signals out, rear led strips are still in.
So no headlights are plugged in at all right now, wasn't a priority, since I can't ride at all, let alone at night.
I wouldn't rely on Facebook , a lot of "old schoolers" don't do it, after all what's the use of half a million "friends" when no one steps up to the plate, get the bike back and give CBRforum a chance to help you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two different bike shops, 6 months later, still nothing. Somebody has to know someth.